uniqs
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

1 edit

me1212 to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok

Re: My gpu is sagging, should I prop it up?

Click for full size
Click for full size
It looks to be sagging a tiny bit right near the end of the card. Not much but still I want to make sure. I'm not sure if the pcie slot is loose, but I've only been using that slot since mid march with my old 460ftw.

EDIT: Yes I have the screws properly tightened.

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu

MVM

There's not much you can do about this problem, aside from complain to the manufacturer of your video card that their heat sinks weigh too much + position of their PCIe power connectors combined with cable tension/weight/gravity causes you great concern. Generally speaking, most dual-backplane cards these days (which is most video cards) have this problem to some degree.

If your PCIe x16 slot has a "locking" mechanism of sorts, then you don't need to worry about it -- the card won't come loose over time. Examples of what I'm referring to:

»www.pcstats.com/articlei ··· _d10.jpg
»www.pcstats.com/articlei ··· pcie.jpg (see white knobs on bottom of PCIe slots)
»www.motherboards.org/ima ··· p3_8.jpg (see blue tab on blue slot, white switch on orange slot)

Now you understand what that little L-shaped "tab" thing is for off to the right of the PCIe connector on cards.