Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Eddy120876

join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY
reply to CGMason14

Re: Verizon is using Sandy as an excuse to force people to FiOS

Lucky you that already have FIOS us poor folks here in the Bronx section of Fordham road still waiting for it. Even thought we have a small community children's hospital that has a FIOS line for over 3 years. Yes I know if you have your own building you can pay for VZ to come install the fiber line but come on the demand is there and if the landlord is the issue then go door to door and leave us the consumer a notice stating that our landlord is not willing to allow VZ on to the premises.

trudy

join:2013-02-15

1 recommendation

reply to alchav

Verizon is doing its best to force the people in my area, to the point of harassment.

It's sent out installers to convert people to fiber with no advance notice. It's tried twice to force me to do this since the Feb 2013 blizzard, even though the only reason the copper service went down in this area is because Verizon had removed the backup generators for copper from the central office. It is backup now, of course.

It's lied to me about why ("you have made many reports of problems with your phone" - that's one report six years ago.) It's lied to me about what the installer was going to do("oh, it's not fiber.") It's ignored my phone calls to customer service saying I do not want to change.

If fiber gets to having the power failure protection copper used to have before Verizon deliberately took that away, then I'll change voluntarily. If they yank the copper without that, I and everyone else I know in my small community is going to cable phone service.

Both the Verizon people I talked to about the fiber installation said they had to tell their supervisors what my reasons were for not taking fiber, and it was pretty clear they would get in trouble for not accomplishing this.

trudy

1 recommendation

reply to nothing00

Plus, the customer has to pay for a new battery when the battery reaches its end of life, and they get to install it themselves. The local cable company replaces the battery free and does it themselves.

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

Comcast is going to start charging for the battery too

»Comcast to Start Charging For XFINITY Voice Backup Batteries

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House

1 recommendation

reply to trudy

said by trudy:

If fiber gets to having the power failure protection copper used to have before Verizon deliberately took that away, then I'll change voluntarily. If they yank the copper without that, I and everyone else I know in my small community is going to cable phone service.

Out of curiosity, why would you switch to cable phone service? Is it just a matter of principle, or do you think the cable phone service will stay up indefinitely in a power outage like copper POTS does?

If it's because of power, you'll be in for an ugly surprise because neither fiber nor coax delivered phone lines are powered by the provider. In a blackout, both will only live for 6-10 hours (give or take) before your CPE equipment runs out of power and the line goes dead-- unless you've provisioned extra on-site power like a generator or extra batteries.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3

2 recommendations

Many people on cable found out the hard way that they will loose phone, even when the lines did not go down. The local node requires power. When those batteries die you are out of service. So for those that do have a generator, you are still better being on FiOS . It is a passive network.
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”

Eddy120876

Bronx, NY
reply to CGMason14

Ok let me get this straight. One person says verizon is wrong to charge you for a new battery but thats normal if you purchase anything and it requires batteries you are responsible for it. Then again Cable operators if they notice that the competition charges they will do the same and then come up with commercials saying "where is the savings" yet you wonder How the F*ck are this prick talking about when they are doing the exact same thing. Thats another reason why I hate cable corps is bait and switch monthly. When it comes to cellphones I hate contracts that restrict you but i can see their good points too, but when it comes to cable I would prefer a contract that would keep my rates intact and not seen a insane price increase monthly.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 recommendations

reply to trudy

said by trudy:

It's tried twice to force me to do this since the Feb 2013 blizzard, even though the only reason the copper service went down in this area is because Verizon had removed the backup generators for copper from the central office. It is backup now, of course.

What evidence do you have that Verizon removed the backup generators from the central office? All Verizon central offices have backup generators for ALL services fed out of the office, including copper and FiOS...Now if the CO lost backup power due to severe flooding or any other natural disaster, that's a different story. Verizon lost backup power at some CO's in the NYC area after Superstorm Sandy, but the backup generators were never REMOVED from the CO's....

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

1 recommendation

I believe there is Federal if not State level requirements for CO's and other essential services sites to have backup electrical services. That includes phone, water, NG and other services so that the public is not impacted but natural, terrorist or plain stupid human event.

Earthlinky

Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to CGMason14

Your complaining about getting brand new Fiber optic cables in town?

I can't even get them to install FIOS. Hurricane Sandy wiped out old infrastructure but the rebuilt infrastructure will be a lot better and more modern.

Here I can't even get FIOS. It is coaxial cable plants only and the service is horrible from both of them. I have been trying to get FIOS in and am still trying but so far nothing has come of it unfortunately.

Eddy120876

Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

If you thinks thats bad we been waiting for Fios for 4 years already. Theres a small childrens hospital a block away from me and they have Fios for that long and every time i call they say no theres no notice as to when you will get it .As soon as i let then know about that they tell me "well is because they paid for the fiber to go to them" and thats sad

boogiedown

@verizon.net

said by Eddy120876:

If you thinks thats bad we been waiting for Fios for 4 years already. Theres a small childrens hospital a block away from me and they have Fios for that long and every time i call they say no theres no notice as to when you will get it .As soon as i let then know about that they tell me "well is because they paid for the fiber to go to them" and thats sad

franchise requires fios to be in all areas by 2014 so u may have to wait almost another 2 years but realistically fios cant be everywhere immediately. takes time, labor, money to build out nyc. its a big city and lots of streets to dig, poles to climb, access agreements with property owners to make.

Eddy120876

Bronx, NY

I understand that it takes time and labor but they are dragging their feet because some sections around do have fios instead of pulling the fiber a bit faster during the summer since is easier to deal with the weather but naah.