join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ

Re: [WIN8] Some Observations about Windows 8

said by JohnInSJ:

said by plencnerb:

I enabled the built-in administrator account as that is where I install all my applications.

Why not just create a user account with admin privileges, and use that to do any admin work? You don't ever need to use the built in Administrator account. Why do people still treat windows like it was windowsXP?

Who ever used XP like that?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by plencnerb:

I enabled the built-in administrator account as that is where I install all my applications.

Why not just create a user account with admin privileges, and use that to do any admin work? You don't ever need to use the built in Administrator account. Why do people still treat windows like it was windowsXP?

Running as the built-in Admin account? ~ 95%

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by plencnerb:

At the company I used to work for, we did just that. Our install process for the corporate image involved using the local administrator account to do the following

• Install Drivers
• Install initial set of Hotfixes and any service packs
• Join Machine to the company domain
• Configure OS (set time zone, power options, Internet options, DNS, DHCP, and so on)
• Install Applications

When we moved to Windows 7, we did the same thing, after we enabled the administrator account.

I do it that way at home, as I was the one at my company who worked on the image builds. I liked how well it worked that I just continue to do it that way. Could I have just installed Windows XP (or Vista, or Windows 7, or Windows 8) at home, use the one account that I setup on install, and go from there? Of course I could. I did not really need to go though all the extra steps that I did when I was building a desktop or laptop image for a company. I just do, because I liked how well it worked, I had the process down, so why change?

--Brian