Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to tschmidt

Premium Member

to tschmidt

Re: Greenhouse mold problem

said by tschmidt:

I tightened it up a little this summer and for the first time we have a problem with mold on the rafters.

There's your problem. Too much humidity and lack of air circulation. There are chemicals you can spray and they will kill the mold - look at power washer additives.
averagedude
join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA

averagedude

said by cowboyro:

said by tschmidt:

I tightened it up a little this summer and for the first time we have a problem with mold on the rafters.

There's your problem. Too much humidity and lack of air circulation. There are chemicals you can spray and they will kill the mold - look at power washer additives.

Do some google'ing and you will find out that greenhouses need ventilation to control humidity. Obviously you don't want to over ventilate, then you might as well be outside. But under ventilation will cause the moisture (relative humidity) to rise with the higher temperature (warmer air holds more moisture) and thus allowing the moisture to condense out at relatively warmer temperatures on the structure.
I have seen very simple set ups where a line voltage humidistat is connected to a simple bathroom (fart fan) to control condensation.
Or, you could just put back the holes you fixed (vents) in the structure and let it breathe naturally. A small vent low and high on a will should do the trick.