uniqs
share rss forum feed

yonexsp

join:2011-01-31
l3x

Virginmobile.ca Thinks I am not in Canada

I am trying to activate a SIM on Virginmobile.ca

But when I go to the page I get an error message:

"Sorry, Looks like you're trying to buy a prepaid phone from outside of Canada. Sorry about this, but our prepaid services are only available in Canada."

I am using a Teksavvy cable connection, no VPN software, straight connection, no funny DNS ettings etc etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
Email the Virgin Mobile web support team.

vitesse

join:2002-12-17
Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, QC
reply to yonexsp
Try Fido, Rogers, Wind or Videotron

if you prefer to keep virgin, I would email them. this is probably an error on their side.

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
reply to yonexsp
Shouldn't this be in either the teksavvy section, or the mobile section (if there is one)?

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
yes should be an issue with TekSavvy's geo-location data of their ip address, has nothing to do with Virgin mobile, they just see the ip, but its actually teck saavy who gives u the ip. their problem, not virgin's also why is this in the bell form? did u try looking for the virgin forum? even though that would be an inappropriate place to post this as well since its a Teksaavy problem to begin with right but why the bell form?
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

bt

canada
said by Paolo:

also why is this in the bell form? did u try looking for the virgin forum?

Bell owns Virgin Mobile Canada.

And geolocation issues are the problem of the website, not the internet provider.

nonBell

@avaya.com
I don't even understand why they care where activation comes from. May be a warning to the potential customer, but not activate all together? They provide the service in Canada, the customer will not be able to use it unless they are physically in Canada and has paid for the SIM, so why do they care. Over zealous web programmer?

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada
reply to bt
said by bt:

said by Paolo:

also why is this in the bell form? did u try looking for the virgin forum?

Bell owns Virgin Mobile Canada.

And geolocation issues are the problem of the website, not the internet provider.

bell owning virgin has nothing to do with this problem. i own a web site two, so im not a no body, and i know for a fact when ppl from teck savvy visit my site, the geo location data shows as usa, but every other customer like bell, rogers, even acanic shows up correctly, its a problem with guess who? YUP YOU GUESSED IT TECH SAAAVY
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada
THE REASON is u must be in canada for the signal to bounce off the tower and to your phone to register the sim card in the switch, if ur in usa it wont work or elsewhere for that matter. maybe learn how a RNC works before you jump to conclusions.
--

bt

canada
reply to Paolo
said by Paolo:

bell owning virgin has nothing to do with this problem.

You asked why it was in the Bell forum, instead of looking for a Virgin forum. Virgin is a Bell brand, so the Bell forum is the correct one.

said by Paolo:

i own a web site two, so im not a no body, and i know for a fact when ppl from teck savvy visit my site, the geo location data shows as usa, but every other customer like bell, rogers, even acanic shows up correctly, its a problem with guess who? YUP YOU GUESSED IT TECH SAAAVY

No, the problem is whoever the geolocation data is being sourced from (Hint: Bell isn't getting the geolocation data from Teksavvy). And it's the responsibility of whoever manages the website to bring errors to the attention of whoever the source of their data is.

It is Bell's responsibility to ensure that the websites for Bell brands work properly. That includes making sure incorrect geolocation data gets corrected.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada
i just checked with virgin head office, they do have their own number for support different than bells number and they confirmed its teksaavys responsibility to fix their geocache location info, and the reason why is the same reason i gave earlier so i was correct, you can not activate outside of canada it wont bounce off the towers to yoru sim. so thats it i confirmed it with virgin themself, its techsavvys problem, now lets get them to fix it instead of complaining whos fault it is.
--

bt

canada
said by Paolo:

and they confirmed its teksaavys responsibility to fix their geocache location info, and the reason why is the same reason i gave earlier

And you actually believed them?

I've gone through the "geocache is wrong" song and dance before. And it's always been the website provider that has fixed it. Bell/Virgin absolutely can fix the problem. The person you spoke to just wasn't willing to put in any effort to do so (likely no script for it, since I doubt you were talking to someone on the website support team).

I bet if you had an issue with the wrong geolocation while using Bell internet and you called them about it, they'd tell you to contact the website in question saying it's their responsibility to fix it.

scorpido
Premium
join:2009-11-02
New Hamburg, ON
Make sure you don't have a DNS redirect program going so your able to get American content like unotelly. Change your DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 respectively

Jurjen

join:2010-08-18
Montreal, QC
reply to yonexsp
Just take your laptop to the café with free internet hotspot on the corner of the street and you can activate your phone.

yonexsp

join:2011-01-31
l3x
I used my Rogers Galaxy S3 as a Hotspot, connected to that to solve the issue for now.

I'll tell the Teksavvy guys, and I have emailed the contact listed on whois.net for the virginmonile.ca domain