Anon

to howardfine

Re: Win8 - Disappointing usability

40 millions Windows 8 licenses SOLD

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

So 40 million times $40 is $1.6 billion versus to 40 million times $120 upgrade of Windows 7 which is $4.8 billion. So Microsoft has lost $3.2 billioin this upgrade compared to last so far.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by howardfine:

So 40 million times $40 is $1.6 billion versus to 40 million times $120 upgrade of Windows 7 which is $4.8 billion. So Microsoft has lost $3.2 billioin this upgrade compared to last so far.

There was ample opportunity to buy the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade licenses for ~$50 USD so that math isn't exactly accurate.

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

In the first month? I got that price from an article talking about the price of upgrading to Win7 and they said that was the current (then) cost.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to howardfine

Premium Member

to howardfine
Their stock prices also continue trending down, and win 8 along with the tablets have not changed this trend. It sure looks like somebody was gambling with the future of the company here, and it sure wasn't Gates.

I don't see the holiday season being kind to them so far.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to howardfine

MVM

to howardfine
said by howardfine:

In the first month? I got that price from an article talking about the price of upgrading to Win7 and they said that was the current (then) cost.

If you make calculations that use something like the mass of an object and that mass is constant like a projectile, it greatly reduces the complexity.

If you make calculations that use something like the mass of an object but that mass changes over time like a rocket burning fuel you’ll need to adjust your calculations accordingly,……to be accurate.

If you go to Amazon.com or some other retail dealer you’ll likely find a current price for Windows 7 Home premium well below that of the cited $120. Also note that the Windows 7 family 3 pack was sporadically available for ~$150. Therefore the price wasn't exactly constant,...

Recall that I referred to being accurate not being outright wrong. They are very different things.

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

What I was talking about was the very first month Windows 7 was out, not current prices, compared to the very first month of Win 8 at current prices. The price for Windows 7 back then was $120 durings its first month.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

No I don’t think that’s accurate even if you narrow it down to that timeframe.

I have six Windows 7 Home Premium licenses I purchased for ~$50 each when Windows 7 was first released (IE the first few days of release). Three were purchased from Newegg and were retail package upgrades. Three individual licenses in one order was the limit. The other three were downloads from the Microsoft store. I also received 2 free Windows 7 Ultimate licenses.

I believe the family pack was available very early after the Windows 7 official release as well.

So again, no I don’t believe that assertion is accurate.

Likewise I believe I paid the same amount for Vista Upgrades of the same number (six) and received the same number of free licenses (relative to release).

Windows 8 brought the price down for me by ~$10 per upgrade license for a total of ~$40 but I also have Technet subscription now.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to howardfine

Anon

to howardfine
said by howardfine:

What I was talking about was the very first month Windows 7 was out, not current prices, compared to the very first month of Win 8 at current prices. The price for Windows 7 back then was $120 durings its first month.

Like he said, there were $50 upgrade promotion at the time. Also Microsoft was giving away Windows 7 licenses for FREE to PC buyers while they were selling it for $15 for Windows 8 promotional upgrade.
Expand your moderator at work