spc
Search similar:

uniqs

KTC
@sbcglobal.net

KTC

Anon

Trane gas furnace

The furnace gave a code that it had a pressure switch problem.Upon replacement of the pressure switch the furnace works.Later on that night the furnace never comes back on but the next day it does.(it is set on auto)I openend it back up and it is reading a pressure switch problem again.I disconnected the inducer moter and vacuumed out the flue which is laying horizontal,vacuumed out the condensate line and blew into the line that is connected to the pressure switch.Now when every thing connected it comes on but notice the impeller on the inducer moter is making a racket.Manually tested at the thrmostat and it turns on and off nomally.Five hours later it doesnt come back on.Cover taken back off and the inducer fan moter is hot like it is trying to work.Tapping on the impeller and now it comes back on.Does this mean replacemnt of the impeller or is it fixable?

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

Probably uneconomical to repair. Replacements aren't too hard to find. They are usually in the $100-200 range.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

Trane parts do not include a rebuildable inducer fan. Need a new one.

should be 3-5 screws, possibly a little silicone..

good luck

-j

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to KTC

MVM

to KTC
It sounds as if the inducer was the problem all along, the switch just doing it's job locking out the system due to the inducer failure.

Unfortunately the failure code covered multiple components, and you exchanged a normally functioning pressure switch.

In most cases the entire inducer assembly has to be replaced.

ktc
@sbcglobal.net

ktc to tp0d

Anon

to tp0d
Have I diagnosed the situation correctly that the problem is in fact an impeller problem?

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084

Premium Member

said by ktc :

Have I diagnosed the situation correctly that the problem is in fact an impeller problem?

Your system detected an air flow fault. You jumped to the conclusion that the sensor was faulty(?) instead of actually doing its intended job and detecting a true air flow problem which appears to be likely the problem.

Replace the the draft inducer assembly (with motor) considering it is "making a racket".

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya to ktc

MVM

to ktc
Impeller usually refers to fluid (mixing or pump). Blower is for air. If you go shopping for an impeller for a Trane furnace, your likely to come back empty handed.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

Depends which supplier or contractor you talk too. Around here if I say "blower" most people assume I mean the indoor fan. But the Trane dealer assumes I mean the inducer assembly.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya to KTC

MVM

to KTC
Draft blower or draft inducer works around here. If you asked for a draft impeller, people would look at you funny.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d to ktc

Premium Member

to ktc
Newer style inducers use a plastic impeller assembly.. Over the years, heat can warp the blades, which make contact with the housing and will slow the rpm of the fan so it does not move enough air to remove the exhaust. More heat == more warp, its a snowball effect.

Good it failed before its really cold, give ya time to fix it rather than an oh-shit moment

all the newer motors are sealed bearings as well, and the motor is probably tired. new part time.

-j

KTC
@sbcglobal.net

KTC

Anon

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP