spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

anoncrtc

@cyberus.ca

transfer from distributel to start

any downtime? still have to pay activation fee?
anyone know if start plans to offer more unlimited plans? also why does it appear they are the only provided that gives 32/1 whereas the others stop services at 28/1?

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
join:2003-05-24
did you even contact start with those questions?
--
www.urimage.net - Free Image Hosting

Kane Hart

join:2012-11-17
reply to anoncrtc
said by anoncrtc :

any downtime? still have to pay activation fee?
anyone know if start plans to offer more unlimited plans? also why does it appear they are the only provided that gives 32/1 whereas the others stop services at 28/1?

Seems that I'm not the only one that wants Unlimited plans. Also what is wrong with Distributel? I know start has a little faster speed but of course the downside is no Ult.

anoncrtc

@cyberus.ca
havnt contact start as i see they are active on these forums
start is local for me so i would like to support them
also 400gb is fine for me; kinda hoping we will hear about the faster speeds soon then itll help me decide especially if prices start to change elsewhere.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to anoncrtc
No activation fee for the switch. I assume you'll be using the same modem? When using the same modem there can be an hour or two of outage (rocca will say exactly in a few minutes though).

Getting into exactly why the speed offerings are different is very complicated. The quick version is that Start has access to all Rogers speed tiers because they are already on the aggregated POI model. Distributel (aka Acanac, CIA, 3web, etc.) and Teksavvy do not, because they are on the dis-aggregated POI model. However, Start pays Rogers a lot more at this time, so no unlimited for now. That pricing is under review at the CRTC, if the result is favourable unlimited plans and/or faster tiers may become available at Start within the next few months.
--
electronicsguru.ca

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to anoncrtc
When transferring TPIA to TPIA in Red areas, there are two small things we have to deal with. First is that the existing provider needs to push the disconnect through to the cable company rather than wait for after your cancellation to do it, ie for them to send in the disconnect now but with an effective date in the future. The second issue is that if you are going to be using the same modem (not sure that applies in your current case) then that modem can't be assigned to two accounts at the same time so we have to have it switched over the morning following the disconnect, ie disconnect at midnight, reconnect generally before lunch, so a few hours downtime.

No activation fee in the above scenario. We've had several people though just opt to pay the install fee and not have to deal with issue #1 above, this gives you an overlap period too.

In regards to unlimited on other plans, hopefully. It all depends on the CRTC approving capacity rates that aren't completely insane, unlike the current rates.

Hope that helps answer your questions, if you need anything else just let us know.

Thanks.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to Teddy Boom
Yeah, what he said. +1

LostTheGame

join:2012-11-24
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

When transferring TPIA to TPIA in Red areas, there are two small things we have to deal with. First is that the existing provider needs to push the disconnect through to the cable company rather than wait for after your cancellation to do it, ie for them to send in the disconnect now but with an effective date in the future. The second issue is that if you are going to be using the same modem (not sure that applies in your current case) then that modem can't be assigned to two accounts at the same time so we have to have it switched over the morning following the disconnect, ie disconnect at midnight, reconnect generally before lunch, so a few hours downtime.

No activation fee in the above scenario. We've had several people though just opt to pay the install fee and not have to deal with issue #1 above, this gives you an overlap period too.

In regards to unlimited on other plans, hopefully. It all depends on the CRTC approving capacity rates that aren't completely insane, unlike the current rates.

Hope that helps answer your questions, if you need anything else just let us know.

Thanks.

To further on this, and I can't stress this enough:

if you're going from TPIA to TPIA, the carrier demands 10 business days' notice; Unless you specify that you're going to another TPIA, the D-Tel cancellation won't be put in to Rogers until day-of-cancellation (1st of the month); provided you give them sufficient notice of cancellation, they can proceed as a transfer; worst case scenario...you have to be home for a tech for a 3-hour window.