Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2
reply to piratefan2

Re: [Speed] DOCSIS 3.0?

Yes in the sense that you'll be connecting across 4 channels instead of 1. No if you're hoping for faster than 15 on the 15 package.

Rebel
El Loco

join:2007-04-26
Greenville, NC
I'm confused....why is it better to be connected across 4 channels instead of 1? Like what's the benefit of that?

LBKANON

@suddenlink.net
I believe every 1 channel has a theoretical limit of 38 mbps to it. So you, along with the other users on your node connected to that channel have 38 mbps to share among each other. With 15mbps, all it takes is 3 users on your node maxing out their connections, connected to the same channel to start impacting your speeds. When you're bonding 4 channels, your data is distributed over all 4.

Although this isn't a great example, think of a highway having more than 1 lane. Even if there is construction (too many users/congestion) in one lane, you're free to take any of the other lanes that are empty.

Basically, if too many users on your node are connected to the same channel as you, speeds can (and more than likely will) dip at peak times when everyone is using their connection without bonding. Bonding to multiple channels will take enable you to grab available bandwidth from all channels you're connected to instead of just 1.

Higher speed packages require D3 modems because one 30mbps subscriber for example, will use almost all the bandwidth available on one channel.

Rebel
El Loco

Greenville, NC
Gotcha. So in other words, if one of the 4 channels your bonding too is congested or is heavily used, then it will go to one of the other 3 channels that are less used/less crowded/less congested so you will still maintain your fast speed your subscribed too. Is that right?

LBKANON

@suddenlink.net
You got it.

Although I believe your data will be split up through all channels you're connected to. A little bit on each channel.

I know D3 helped me a lot, because I wasn't hitting my 15mb during peak times with my old D2 modem. Speeds would drop to 7-8mb during the evening. I upgraded to 30mb with a D3 modem and I get 31 or 32mb all the time now. In my market (Lubbock, TX) we have 8 bonded downstream channels.

Rebel
El Loco

Greenville, NC
What about upload. Do you think Suddenlink will ever bond our upload speed or are they in the process of doing that?

daroy990

join:2007-08-25
Lubbock, TX
Suddenlink can bond upstream in Lubbock with it's current (new) CMTS platform but they choose not to.

Although you may have 4 channels-that is great-they are often spread amongst 2, 3 or 4 nodes. This is all dependent on how many ports they have available on the CMTS(s), and how the wiring is done in the headend. So you could have anywhere from 200 to 750 modems on one set of 4 channels, or in Lubbock's case, 8.

Upload channels are often spread amongst multiple nodes also. They just don't need to bond with the crappy upload speeds they offer right now. One 64 QAM channel is enough for the time being.

Remember that voice also has its own DOCSIS channel as well as all the VOD DOCSIS channels-these take up space also.

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2
Channel bonding 2 megs up...... I'm pretty sure SL staff asked themselves also, 'Why bother'