uniqs
share rss forum feed

LowInfoVoter
Vote early, vote often, vote democrat.

join:2007-11-19
USA
reply to drslash

Re: WiFi problem with Galaxy SIII

especially considering everything else seems to work, i'd back up the router's settings and reset it to factory defaults. then, i'd unplug everything else and set up wifi without security. use the SIII and see if you have disconnects. if in that minimal state you still have problems, only then would i consider hardware replacement.

otherwise, if it "works as expected", then i'd start adding devices back to the network and restoring the router settings (from memory, if possible, rather than the backup file) one piece at a time.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
I did a factory reset but I did not try using the GSIII for a period of time without wifi security set up. I will try that.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
reply to LowInfoVoter
said by LowInfoVoter:

especially considering everything else seems to work, i'd back up the router's settings and reset it to factory defaults. then, i'd unplug everything else and set up wifi without security. use the SIII and see if you have disconnects. if in that minimal state you still have problems, only then would i consider hardware replacement.

otherwise, if it "works as expected", then i'd start adding devices back to the network and restoring the router settings (from memory, if possible, rather than the backup file) one piece at a time.

I did a router reset. My GSIII worked fine at every step of restoring router settings until I implemented WPA2 personal security with AES and TKIP cipher. I didn't use my phone for an extended time without security enabled but for the time I did, the app I most have problems with worked fine. In some of my searching about this issue I have seen reports that the phone does not play nice with some routers security setups. My testing seems to confirm this. I am going to disable security again and use the phone and apps for an extended period to double check. I guess if it is a problem with security I'll replace the router. Seems dumb but I guess I need to do it.

mozerd See Profile and LowInfoVoter See Profile do you agree with my conclusion about the security incompatibility and the need to just replace the router with a current technology one?
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

LowInfoVoter

USA
glad to hear you were able to narrow down the source of the issue. im never an advocate of "burning down the house to get rid of the roaches", or in this case "having one particular issue that you can't exactly identify the source of so you replace the entire device". if someone can't provide concrete, reproducible evidence towards a need to replace a device, i'd do what you did earlier and disregard it.

said by drslash:

do you agree with my conclusion about the security incompatibility and the need to just replace the router with a current technology one?

not yet. i've had issues with WPA2 where my device just didn't like the type of characters that were in the key. use WPA2 with a really basic key consisting of only letters and numbers (no specials). see if that works. if it does, i would chalk it up to an issue with your device's implementation of WPA and the router's implementation.

if it appears to be a conflict in key implementation, your next hurdle will be to determine if you want "really cryptic keys" or whether you can live with a "more generic key".

since you said that you have no problems at work, i would use their network key (if it's WPA2) as the starting point in determining if there's a WPA2 key implementation issue.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
Thanks for your reply. I will try my phone for and extended period without security and with a more generic pass phrase. If all goes well with the generic pass phrase then I will just use a less cryptic one and deal with the short term whining when all of the wireless devices in the house need to have their pass phrase changed.

LowInfoVoter

USA
just for my curiosity, is your work's network certificate based or is it key (WPA2) based? if it's WPA2 based, hopefully it will have some special characters in it that you could use as a reference point for "valid" ASCII characters.

if it doesn't have any, then it reinforces the idea of the need for a "generic key", but i wouldn't bet on this being the case necessarily..

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
My work has a secured and unsecured wifi available. I am connecting to the unsecured network, no key or pass phrase is required to connect.

LowInfoVoter

USA
ah, then that definitely points to some issue with the implementation of WPA2 between your two devices

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
Well...it's not looking good. My GSIII works fine with no security enabled and does not hold a consistent wifi connection using a generic pass phrase.

mannram

@optonline.net
Can you change the security to aes?

mannram

@optonline.net
reply to drslash
Can you change the security to aes?