Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xtreme2damax

join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY
reply to hobgoblin

Re: Abnormal Pings With Roadrunner

So there is nothing wrong with someone in Florida getting the same ping as me, when I am playing on a New York server and I live in New York? o_O

I've been told my ping should be half what it is now, actually more than half. I should be seeing 10ms at the very most.

My ping to a Chicago server is less and that is further away.

The ping is only half the issue however, the issue is the lag I experience which makes it feel more like my ping is over 100ms.
--
My Website: »www.xtemu.com
My Speedtest: »www.speedtest.net/result/1218984197.png

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
"So there is nothing wrong with someone in Florida getting the same ping as me, when I am playing on a New York server and I live in New York? o_O"

Correct

"I've been told my ping should be half what it is now, actually more than half. I should be seeing 10ms at the very most."

Whoever told you that is wrong. They clearly are not a network engineer!

"My ping to a Chicago server is less and that is further away."

It all depends on routing, its further away geographically but maybe not for network traffic.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
Well is there any way to get them to change the route if that is possible? Having 30ms - 50ms ping is kind of high for a local server and puts me at a disadvantage especially when that 30ms acts more like I'm playing with 100+ ms ping.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
"Well is there any way to get them to change the route if that is possible? Having 30ms - 50ms ping is kind of high for a local server and puts me at a disadvantage especially when that 30ms acts more like I'm playing with 100+ ms ping."

There is no way anyone would look at this based on your trace as a problem.

Sorry

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
Then what will I need to do? Just dealing with it is not an option.

Is there any other tests I can run that will provide sufficient information for someone to do something?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
Your tests show you are reaching a game server in NYC in 29ms.

Unless you come up with something in the 100 plus there is nothing anyone is going to do.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson