uniqs
29393955 (banned)
Always the green wire
join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN

29393955 (banned) to Streetlight

to Streetlight

Re: Newest bill shows new fee - Convenience Fee

You should call the Comcast billing dept and ask what it's for. My last 2 bills have had a 32 cent (yes, $0.32) fee for 'Cable TV Franchise Fee', though I haven't had cable TV in over a year and a half.

Needless to say, I didn't pay it last month (I had to call - twice - to get over $300 in erroneous charges removed) and I'll be calling again this month. But hey, they certainly are being creative in their attempts to pay for that NBC acquisition.
mario02423
join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL

mario02423

said by 29393955:

My last 2 bills have had a 32 cent (yes, $0.32) fee for 'Cable TV Franchise Fee' over a year and a half.

+1'ing this. I had the franchise fee on my Business Class Internet Only account. Had to take it to Corporate Escalation to get it removed.

MSauk
MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk to 29393955

Premium Member

to 29393955
My fee is .79 cents for the Franchise Fee. Yikes

S1R1US
join:2002-08-25
Clearwater, FL

S1R1US to mario02423

to mario02423
said by mario02423:

said by 29393955:

My last 2 bills have had a 32 cent (yes, $0.32) fee for 'Cable TV Franchise Fee' over a year and a half.

+1'ing this. I had the franchise fee on my Business Class Internet Only account. Had to take it to Corporate Escalation to get it removed.

If my understanding of this fee is correct, it's valid for both of you whether you have cable television or not. I believe it relates to a cost to providers by the city you live in to A, allow them physical access to install/repair equipment on city property and B, provide funding for local channels. 100% of this fee goes straight to the city you live in. It's not a tax like it might sound, but service providers treat it as a tax in the sense that it's a charge incurred on them by an outside entity (government, city, etc), so they simply carry the charge onto customers. It's an optional fee that providers can choose to pass on or not.

I suspect if there are companies who are only just now starting to charge it, they are finding a tight budget in certain areas and recognize the legal advantage of spreading the cost out to us customers. In my opinion, I think it's appropriate.