Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
reply to horacebork

Re: voip is digital - why use an ata?

said by horacebork:

i'm beginning my conversion to voip and have been trying to research as much as possible. am getting further, but am stuck on one thing: voip is digital, so why would i want to use an ata device to connect to my voip provider?

maybe it's a very stupid question, but isn't there a voip adapter that leverages digital sound? or is everyone just using ata adapters and moving on with things.

sorry to ask such a bottom end question.

I first started using voip a few years ago and chose to purchase an ATA and use a set of cordless phones with it. My reason was simple: cost. I spent $50 on a Linksys PAP2T-NA and I was able to use the cordless phone system that I had already. At that time, the cordless IP phones that I found were way too expensive for my budget. And, I did not want to use a desk phone.

I would later realize that using an ATA with analog phones lead to several call-quality problems that I thought were just typical of voip (such as echo and DTMF talk-off).

After switching out my ATA for a Gigaset C610A-IP IP-based phone, I've been much happier!

rblizz

join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric

said by crazyk4952:

I would later realize that using an ATA with analog phones lead to several call-quality problems that I thought were just typical of voip (such as echo and DTMF talk-off).

I'm lucky enough not to have had any echo issues with my ATA. Not sure what DTMF "talk-off" is. I realize that not every ISP and router is the same, though.

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric

said by rblizz:

I'm lucky enough not to have had any echo issues with my ATA. Not sure what DTMF "talk-off" is. I realize that not every ISP and router is the same, though.

DTMF talk-off is when your ATA mistakes sounds that it hears (i.e. your voice) for you pressing buttons on your phone. When this happens, the ATA will send the tone through. Very annoying to the person on the other end!

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric

said by crazyk4952:

DTMF talk-off is when your ATA mistakes sounds that it hears (i.e. your voice) for you pressing buttons on your phone. When this happens, the ATA will send the tone through. Very annoying to the person on the other end!

Thanks. I guess I'm lucky enough not to have had that issue either.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13

DTMF talk-off issues predate VoIP.

Bell Labs was concerned about this decades ago, and many companies since then....

Female voices are more likely to trigger.

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric

said by PX Eliezer7:

DTMF talk-off issues predate VoIP.

Bell Labs was concerned about this decades ago, and many companies since then....

Female voices are more likely to trigger.

And, the change in a woman's when she gets pregnant can trigger this in certain systems. My brother was working with a tech where this problem suddenly cropped up. He asked, "this is going to sound strange, but are you pregnant?" "Yep." I would have never had the guts to ask. (I hadn't heard the term "DTMF talk-off" but I'm aware of the issue.)

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13

Amazing.

Here's a recent study.

Pregnancy and voice: changes during the third trimester.
»www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22578433

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

The stuff I learn here... !