Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4m3

@rr.com

USPTO Director to Step Down, Praises Smartphone Lawsuit War

USPTO Director to Step Down, Praises Smartphone Lawsuit War as "Innovation":

According to the former IBM consul, the patent system has never been healthier

Amid increasingly noisy criticism about questionable patents and criticism from veteran judges regarded as some of the nation's foremost intellectual property experts, the head of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office is firing back.

David Kappos, who has served as USPTO Director for the past several years, delivered a pointed speech a week ago entitled "An Examination of Software Patents" in which he argues that software patents are perfectly valid and comments, "[Critics should] move beyond the flippant rhetoric and instead engage in substantive discussion."

He said in the speech that rather than proof of a broken system, the deluge of smartphone patent lawsuits is a sign that the smartphone industry is engaging in innovation at a "breakneck pace". Directly addressing those who say the system is broken, he comments rhetorically, "Broken? What?"

But Director Kappos' days of defending the USPTO's current policies are coming to a close, as he announced this week that he would be stepping down. The lawyer, who previously served as an attorney for International Business Machines, Inc. (IBM) did not say what his future plans were. The announcement was considered somewhat unexpected.

There has been no announcement yet on who will take over as Director at the USPTO.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

1 edit

1 recommendation

Frankly I'm still of the belief that the patent office simply needs to be blown up, burn down and pissed on.

Might I suggest David with his new found spare time should review copyrights and how they apply to software?

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
said by Link Logger:

Frankly I'm still of the belief that the patent office simply needs to be blown up, burn down and pissed on.

+100
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3
When companies sue over scrolling, sliding to unlock, searching the phone, rounded edges. That is not sign of innovation, that is a sign of being unable to out innovate the competition and firing the lawyers to try and out sue them.

I agree the patent system and honestly the copyright system as well both need a complete reboot.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3
Take off and nuke them both from orbit. It's the only way to make sure.

FF4m3

@rr.com
said by DrStrange:

Take off and nuke them both from orbit. It's the only way to make sure.

+1 LOL