Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Anveo
·VMedia
reply to horacebork

Re: voip is digital - why use an ata?

said by horacebork:

wow, lots of great input. thanks so much to all.. i think i get it.

re: telephone itself: i have an 'ok' 2.4ghz uniden base w/2 remotes. i was thinking of getting dect 6 phones to replace it.

i think that will be the solution then. voip.ms is recommending the cisco spa 112, but seems like overwhelming popularity/reliability of the obi100 or obi110 trumps that.

I had older-than-the-hills Panasonic pre-DECT 6.0 cordless phones and needed a new ATA because the old one died. So since I needed both I replaced them with a Panasonic KX-TGP500 and matching KX-TPA50 handset. I'm very happy with the result and the cost was not too much more than a new ATA and new phones. I'm expecting them to last at least as long as the last Panasonic phones I bought i.e. 20 years.
--
DPC3825 (bridged mode) - WRT610N + Tomato - Panasonic KX-TGP500 - Asterisk 1.8.11.0 with Asterisk GUI on Virtual Server
Anveo - FreePhoneLine - Voxbeam - Numbergroup - Callcentric - VoIP.MS - Localphone - UKDDI

horacebork
Premium
join:2011-03-17
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

anyone else have an opinion about Panasonic KX-TGP500?
i cannot even find the product on panasonic's website.
there are vendors on the web, mostly unknown name.
amazon has it thru other vendors. newegg sells it *above* list.
--
".. the sofa has just vanished." ".. well, that's one mystery less."

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 edit

said by horacebork:

I have a closely related Panasonic which is discussed in this thread. I like it a great deal. We use it at my office. That purchase was a special deal that AFAIK is not available any more.
»Panasonic KX-TGP551T04

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to horacebork

said by horacebork:

i cannot even find the product on panasonic's website.

It certainly is on their website.
»www.panasonic.com/business/psna/···500.aspx

And it's sold by Amazon AND by well-known folks like VoipSupply.
»www.voipsupply.com/panasonic-kx-tgp500

Also e4Voip:
»8774e4voip.com/panasonic-kx-tgp500

These are well-known sellers of VoIP equipment.

Please understand, someone like Newegg is [not] the place for VoIP equipment.

horacebork
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

said by PX Eliezer7:

It certainly is on their website.
»www.panasonic.com/business/psna/···500.aspx

dang! honest i looked. =(

said by PX Eliezer7:

And it's sold by Amazon

.. by *third parties* on the amazon site - not exactly the same buying experience.

said by PX Eliezer7:

AND by well-known folks like VoipSupply.
»www.voipsupply.com/panasonic-kx-tgp500

Also e4Voip:
»8774e4voip.com/panasonic-kx-tgp500

These are well-known sellers of VoIP equipment.

ah, now, this is more like what i am very thankful for: endorsements of online vendors, which i haven't heard of before.

said by PX Eliezer7:

Please understand, someone like Newegg is [not] the place for VoIP equipment.

hmm.. thanks for the info. not sure how i woulda figured that out without your valuable input.

thanks px eliezer
--

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Anveo
·VMedia

1 recommendation

said by horacebork:

ah, now, this is more like what i am very thankful for: endorsements of online vendors, which i haven't heard of before.

I'm not sure it matters where you place your order. I bought my base unit and extension from different vendors on Amazon. They both left the same facility in Austin TX on the same day within an hour of each other and travelled via different carriers arriving at their destination within an hour of each other. My point is that most vendors do not hold stock these days and yours will probably be dispatched from Austin no matter which vendor you buy from.
--
DPC3825 (bridged mode) - WRT610N + Tomato - Panasonic KX-TGP500 - Asterisk 1.8.11.0 with Asterisk GUI on Virtual Server
Anveo - FreePhoneLine - Voxbeam - Numbergroup - Callcentric - VoIP.MS - Localphone - UKDDI

horacebork
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

2 edits

said by grand total:

I'm not sure it matters where you place your order. I bought my base unit and extension from different vendors on Amazon. ... My point is that most vendors do not hold stock these days and yours will probably be dispatched from Austin no matter which vendor you buy from.

understood. however, different vendors handle sales very differently. amazon is just terrific with their return policy. they provide prepaid return labels and are very lenient about packaging (although i always include all packaging with a return).

i also value timeliness and professionalism. amazon is top flight on both. i don't pretend that amazon doesn't have it's problems. i just like to know and trust who my money is going to. amazon is pretty solid. their third-party vendors have not always proven to be so.

case in point: 8774e4voip.com (.e4) does not issue refunds of any kind. voipsupply.com will issue a refund minus a '10% - 20%' restocking fee. both of these are outmoded business policies.
--

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by horacebork:

case in point: 8774e4voip.com (.e4) does not issue refunds of any kind.

voipsupply.com will issue a refund minus a '10% - 20%' restocking fee.

both of these are outmoded business policies.

Outmoded compared to what? These are often smaller companies who could be driven out of business by abusive customers. They can't be held to the same standard as Amazon itself, or LL Bean.

It's pretty standard, actually:

TelephonyDepot, another good vendor, requests that you try to work with the manufacturer first. And returns otherwise are subject to 15 percent restocking fee.
»www.telephonydepot.com/RMA-Form

You said you like Newegg, but they have the same 15 percent restocking fee.
»www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/FAQDetai···Module=6

TigerDirect wants customers to work with the manufacturer first, and many of their returns have a 25 percent restock fee.
»www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/help/return.asp

Fry's charges 15 percent restocking fee for lots of stuff:
[Unless defective, a 15% restocking fee will be charged for all returned opened GPS/Navigation units, network-attached storage, projectors, cameras, camcorders, notebooks, netbooks, tablets and iPads, desktops, monitors, MP3 players and iPods, and Apple TVs.]

horacebork
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

1 edit

we are pretty far adrift of the topic. it is one that deserves more discussion than this topic should bear. if there is enough traffic to bear on this topic, perhaps we could start another one in a more appropriate forum?

said by PX Eliezer7:

Outmoded compared to what?

compared to modern business practices of taking anything back for a refund. and this is not just large vendors that operate in this manner. i do this with my customers, and i run a shop of 2 people. i also know other small vendors that operate the same way and i do business with them regularly.

i can spot a lemon customer a mile away and will do business with them until they turn into the lemon i know they are. i'll do what is right to resolve the basic problem. from there on i execute my 'reserve' on the right to refuse service to any customer.

*my opinion* is that small vendors have been to too many economics and accounting seminars telling them that products being sent back are more expensive than products being sold and they buy into that business model. *my opinion* is that there is no economic or accounting technique that can measure how customer satisfaction affects your bottom line.

said by PX Eliezer7:

These are often smaller companies who could be driven out of business by abusive customers. They can't be held to the same standard as Amazon itself, or LL Bean.

not sure i totally agree with this stance. manufacturers set return policies. some vendors (myself included) refuse to do business with certain manufacturers based on their policies.

given manufacturer 'a' with a liberal return policy and two vendors selling products from manufacturer 'a'. vendor 'x' could offer unqualified full refunds and vendor 'y' offer none based on their *own* policies, not the manufacturer's stated one.

said by PX Eliezer7:

You said you like Newegg

never said any such thing. please reread my post and indicate where i qualify newegg in any way.

all in all, i get to make the choices, so i choose my vendors as carefully as possible. when i'm spending $5 or $10, i may cast caution to the wind. when i'm spending $200, i'm just a bit more cautious about vendors that avert their glance after a purchase.
--