Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to mlerner

Re: [OT] Just bought the Philips Hue bulb kit

CFLs still have LEDs beat for lumens. I can't even consider switching to them because everywhere I have CFLs would be dim.

Where I find LEDs look really good is in the kitchen for spot lighting of specific points but you do need to double up on them number of them to get any really usable amount of work level lighting. A friend of ours recently did this for their kitchen remodel and it looks really nice with the white light on white cabinet.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

said by creed3020:

CFLs still have LEDs beat for lumens. I can't even consider switching to them because everywhere I have CFLs would be dim.

I found the opposite to be true. LED's were superior to every CFL application in my home.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

random

@teksavvy.com
reply to creed3020

LED are probably good for places that have lights turn on and off often (e.g. kitchen, washroom) as their light level reach full level instantly vs old CF that sometimes take minutes especially on a cold day. They should handle the on/off cycles a lot better than incandescent and CF as cold filaments draws a lot of inrush current and those tend to die prematurely in those locations.

The "white" LED still uses fluorescent material similar to that of CF, so the light output will decrease over its life time and due to excessive heat. That limits their useful life time.

In theory, the LED would last a long time, BUT they would only last as long as the power supplies in them. So good luck with those cut rates Chinese no-names capacitors in Chinese electronic that is crammed inside the small base of the bulb under high heat.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to mlerner

Interesting article on LED performance
»ledsmagazine.com/features/9/6/8

A consumer perspective from Australia
»www.wattsaver.com.au/products/gu···r16s.pdf

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to DKS

I guess you like your house to be dim, but lighting is of course subjective. I'd love to replace my overhead kitchen fixture with some nice track lighting that uses LEDs. That would look really nice and be very efficient. Currently that fixture is still stock on incandescent as the glass dome is too narrow to fit in the wider base of a CFL.

Thanks for that article Maynard. Some great information in that first article.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

said by creed3020:

I guess you like your house to be dim, but lighting is of course subjective.

Don't find it dim at all. In fact, it's brighter than the CFL's and incandescents they replaced. I'm using the 800 lumen Phillips bulbs, mostly.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Curmudgeon

join:2012-04-09
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

Anyway, if anyone has any questions, let me know. I'd be happy to answer them.

Why? Seems like a complicated solution to a simple problem.

When I heard talk of banning incandescent bulbs, I stocked up with a lifetime supply. All my light fixtures and lamps have simple mechanical switches. Works for me.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

said by Curmudgeon:

When I heard talk of banning incandescent bulbs, I stocked up with a lifetime supply. All my light fixtures and lamps have simple mechanical switches. Works for me.

A life time supply eh? Short life plan? Or did you get filthy rich and make a few deals for a coupple of high pallets worth?
--
IF TREE = FALL AND PEOPLE = ZERO THEN SOUND = 0
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
reply to Curmudgeon

said by Curmudgeon:

said by mlerner:

Anyway, if anyone has any questions, let me know. I'd be happy to answer them.

Why? Seems like a complicated solution to a simple problem.

Not complicated for me but I never claimed it was a solution for anyone else.

For me, my long term goal is to offload my household to electronic networked systems since most of what I do is already done electronically such as bill payment, banking, communication to some extent, entertainment etc. Even my day job often requires remote access and computer systems.

Now on the other hand, you can still get LED bulbs standalone, no wifi or anything like that. If that's all you want and likely most people will opt for, you can get the simple bulb and be done with it.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

said by creed3020:

I guess you like your house to be dim, but lighting is of course subjective.

Don't find it dim at all. In fact, it's brighter than the CFL's and incandescents they replaced. I'm using the 800 lumen Phillips bulbs, mostly.

I agree. I'm not sure if we have the exact same bulb but I also have 800 lumen bulbs and I haven't noticed any difference at all in brightness with my old one.

I do like the fact that I can actually set the exact brightness I want. Even the old dimming bulbs were too basic as it had pre-set levels.

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON
reply to Curmudgeon

said by Curmudgeon:

When I heard talk of banning incandescent bulbs, I stocked up with a lifetime supply.

Ever wonder why those bulbs produce so much heat ? There's a reason for that . Anyway , enjoy your hydro bill ....

JonF
Premium
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON
reply to mlerner

Saw these on soldierknowsbest's vidcast. Pretty cool concept.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hWNVBcuvt8

--
TSI Jon F
E-Services/TSR

Gimli
Premium
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4
reply to Rickkins

said by Rickkins:

$199. for 3 bulbs....??!!

Not in this lifetime.

+1
that's a lot of beer

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
reply to mlerner

Very tempting Only problem is apple store.. I refuse to buy anything in that Hell hole.. P:)
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

JonF
Premium
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

app is free and available on android as well (just checked)

zomo

join:2007-07-04
Toronto, ON
reply to mlerner

Thank you for the informative & interesting review. I accept CFL's, but they leave much to be desired. Your post spawned very interesting followup from the online community. Great info from DKS regarding the Phillips 800 lumen lights!

May just have to try some of these as the CFL's fail 1 yr into their 5 yr lifespan.

Zomo...

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

CFLs are ok, especially in applications where they are on for an extended period. I have several that run from dusk to dawn for the past few years and they're still going. However LED produce better light especially for clear or parabolic bulbs as LEDs are point light sources and can produce the "sparkle" effect that CFLs can't.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

i found a Kickstarter That Allows u to use any Dimmable bulb in a Special bulb adapter in the same way these work, though u would not get color control. just on off/dimming. called the Spark Socket.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Still fairly expensive ... $60 bucks to control 2 lights . But not bad ! > »www.androidcentral.com/spark-soc···friendly

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
reply to mlerner

Doesn't look like any of these products support 802.11a 5GHz.

--
Consumerist.com | Consumers Union

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
reply to mlerner

They're are pretty neat. The one thing that surprises me is that there isn't a party mode where the lights rotate between colours.

These are on my "want" list but I may be waiting for the price to come down a bit.

BuddyRich

join:2008-02-27
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

There is actually a kickstarter that has been funded to a sizeable amount for a similar product:

Lifx

»www.kickstarter.com/projects/lim···invented

It seems Philips stole their thunder when they announced their product. The only difference is Lifx doesn't use a bridge and are 60W equivalents, not 50W.

I was also interested in HUE but put off by the 50W. OTOH Philips has a history of making bulbs, this startup, not so much. I guess its good to have options, too bad they aren't cross-compatible.

nick_vw

@teksavvy.com
reply to mlerner

For CFL's, i find you need to get the 20watt 3500K variety, the all-too-common 13 watt 2700k is a terrible light source.

I too have CFL's outdoor that are left on all night, every night. Its been that way for 3 years and they still work great. In a bathroom, or somewhere they get turned on/off a lot, they fail in less than a year.

There was an overstock store i found cheap LED's made by sunbeam, 3 pack for $10. I put them in my aquarium 1 year ago and have been left on ever since (24/7) I also use them in cabinets, and in my bathroom. Best "cheap" LED's i've used. nice and bright for 4 watts.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to BuddyRich

said by BuddyRich:

I was also interested in HUE but put off by the 50W. OTOH Philips has a history of making bulbs, this startup, not so much. I guess its good to have options, too bad they aren't cross-compatible.

The hue bulbs they say are equivalent to 60w but regardless, they are fairly bright even though some of my older bulbs were 80 watt.

And also, the firmware is supposed to be open source so presumably you could make your own bulbs that work with it or integrate it with your own software.

honix

@comcast.net
reply to mlerner

Thanks for your post. I bought the Hue starter kit and one extra bulb yesterday. I was trying out the timer and I set up a scene for one bulb to come on at a specific time and go off at a specific time. Surprise! The other 3 bulbs came on but the one I scheduled did not. You mention resetting the bulbs (turn the lamp off and then back on) for which you don't want the scene to apply. Does that really work? I've also noticed that when you touch on a scene it sets the 3 original bulbs to that scene but ignores the 4th (extra) bulb. Have you run into this? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

said by honix :

Thanks for your post. I bought the Hue starter kit and one extra bulb yesterday. I was trying out the timer and I set up a scene for one bulb to come on at a specific time and go off at a specific time. Surprise! The other 3 bulbs came on but the one I scheduled did not.

Unfortunately the software isn't user friendly and still a bit buggy. Without knowing how you have everything setup there a few things you need to keep in mind. I'm just going to speed through this presuming you've already done it but let me know if you need clarification.

Now the light switch has to be on at all times so the bulbs can get power which then enable you to control the bulb state.

Secondly, the bulb has to be configured with the bridge. If you haven't done so, you need to launch the app and if you bring up preferences there's an option to detect and add bulbs.

Third, presuming your bulbs can communicate properly, you should be able to set the individual bulbs in the light pattern just as mine is shown above.

Fourth, if you've done all that and still have issues you may have wifi reception problems with the location of that bulb. The key is since the bridge range is small (I believe 200 feet) the bulbs will act as a repeater and communicate between themselves so that should help but if not, you may need to add a bulb between the one you're having issues with and the last bulb you can communicate with.

said by honix :

You mention resetting the bulbs (turn the lamp off and then back on) for which you don't want the scene to apply.

Well that would be one way to do it. The intent of the on/off is so if you don't have access to the client/bridge you can still turn on the bulbs. In addition, by doing that it will reset so that it will not show a pattern.

Now there's a bug I believe with the patterns, the web portal applies patterns to every bulb (probably no support to apply individual bulbs) and the smartphone app if you wait too long, selects all bulbs and applies the pattern immediately even though the pattern hasn't been saved which I hope will be fixed soon.