share rss forum feed

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4

[OS X] Making and Moving Image to new SSD

On an IMAC early 2008. Going to put a 2.5 HDD 500gig drive in the optical drive slot and install an SSD where the 3.5 HDD 320gig is currently.
(1) Is my best bet to make an image of the current HDD and transfer this to the SSD?
(2) The Hard drive is a 320gb and the SSD is a 240. Do I have to make sure that the files amount to less than 240?
(3) Should I optimize the drive first.?
(4) What is the best way after making an image off the 3.5 HD, to actually put it on the SSD?

Any other tips advice welcome.
(PS will be doing the same for two macbook pros around xmas, with the difference being I will be moving the current 2.5 HD on the pro to the optical drive slot).
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Too complicated.

Once you get the new drive, install it and move the old drive to the optical bay. Boot up - OS X will automatically start from the old drive.

Format the SSD, then use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper (I prefer CCC) to copy the old drive onto the new drive.

You will have to make sure there are less than 240GB of files or else it won't let you copy the drive. If you have more, you can do a selective copy, but then CCC does not guarantee boot-ability in some cases. There's no need for optimizing, imaging, or anything else like that.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to Anav

Okay so cloning is an exact copy for transferring from one hard drive to another and Imaging is more of a backup of the hard drive which can also be used for cloning in its own way.

By the way, on the imac I will not be able to put the 3.5 drive into the optical bay (too big), tis why I bought the 2.5 500gig drive. So perhaps I need to image it????? If so not sure on the exact steps to put it on the SSD. IM assuming I will need a boot CD or what I need a boot USG stick? I am not even sure if one can boot off the optical drive connection anyway on an older IMAC.
--
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

Why not just CCC as the other user mentioned, and if it doesn't work, get back to us.

BTW: I'll be doing the same with my 2009 MacBook eventually, probably on a Boxing Day special from New Egg or Canada Computer...if the SSD's are cheap enough.

My understanding of CCC is that it makes and identical copy of the other drive, bit for bit, so the computer won't know any different.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to Anav

Sorry, I missed the part about upgrading from 320 to 500. Is the optical drive adapter you're purchasing SATA?

If so, install the SSD into the optical drive bay first, then use CCC to copy everything over. Then install the 500GB drive (you really could've left the SSD in the optical bay if you wanted to, and gone with a traditional 3.5" HD).

If you don't want to open the iMac twice, I would recommend getting a SATA to USB adapter and boot off the old 320GB drive via USB to do the clone.

And yes, typically imaging refers to making a backup of the entire drive to a single file for later restoration. Cloning is making an exact duplicate onto another drive.
--

Expand your moderator at work

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to Anav

Re: [OS X] Making and Moving Image to new SSD

No the converter tray I have is Pata to Sata as the early 2008 IMAC did not have a SATA one. Useful advice though for the macbook pros.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to Thinkdiff

CCC is now $40. Into the toilet of previously useful software it goes.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to Anav

Funny that, playing with Disk warrior and CCC having never used them before. Discovered I cannot re-index the main drive. So I made a CCC clone copy (not image) onto an external USB connectied HP 2TB drive (already in guid partition format). Then I ran disk warrior on that.

Next step is to see if I can boot off the USB connected drive, ie using the cloned copy (and thats assuming the re-indexing did not make that impossible).
My question is after re-indexing with diskwarrior can I then copy that cloned but cleaned up copy back to replace the original copy sitting on the 320gig hard drive?
Could I use it to copy to a blank SSD drive assuming would have to ensure SSD drive is guid formatted first???
--

LlamaWorks Equipment

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

I know. Damned shame - it was one tool I could always count on.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to Anav

Running DiskWarrior on the external drive basically did nothing (assuming the drive was clean to begin with).

CCC clones at the file-level when you're booted off the source drive, so the file-system level information (directory, etc) is not copied, it's recreated as you copy all the files to the new drive. (that's why "optimizing", I assume you mean defragmenting?, the drive is also a waste of time)

You will be able to boot off the USB drive. Just select it in System Preferences > Startup Disk or hold down Option at startup to select it. Expect to wait awhile for it to boot.

When you install the SSD, it might be unformatted. Disk Utility will pop up a message asking you to Initialize it. Then you can select to format it as GUID. If it comes pre-formatted for some reason, you can just use Disk Utility to reformat. CCC will not format the drive.
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

Yea... fortunately the old version is still around and working.

»www.bombich.com/software/downloa···?v=3.4.7
--

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to Thinkdiff

the original disk was not clean, there were some bad sectors and a few other issues. My plan was to move the files to the external drive, run disk warrior there and then recopy it back to the hard drive. How do I mark those sectors as bad and not to be used??

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

Like I explained, running Disk Warrior on the external drive will do nothing. DW operates below the file/folder level of the File-system (mostly at the directory level). CCC and SuperDuper usually copy data at the file/folder level, so any changes made by DiskWarrior will not be useful when copying the files back to the original drive.

Normally, a hard drive should be able to recover from and mark bad sectors on its own. One way to force it to do this is zeroing out the drive:

Copy everything to the external and boot from it. Open Disk Utility, select the original drive (the top-level drive, not the partition/volume), select Erase. Press Security Options and select the option that writes Zeros to every bit. Then press erase. It could take quite a long time depending on the size of the drive and the speed. When it's done, you'll have a completely blank new partition. Use CCC to copy everything back.
--

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

Hi thinkdiff. Something strange happened after I cloned the main drive to the external drive. I did confirm that all the files were transferred to the external drive successfully. I then ran disk warrior on the external drive which didnt seem to do too much.

Upon restarts of my computer I got the folder with the question mark and if I pressed the option key I got the login prompt which when successfully entered resulted in a blank screen (yes I waited) nothing came up. In other words for soem reaason the computer was no longer recognizing either the main drive in the IMAC or the external USB. Well after a gazillion restarts I decided to try plugging the USB in after The login and lo and behold the computer suddenly recognized the usb external and everything came up fine. So at least the clone worked. Problem is I tried to look back at the main drive and nothing is showing under COMPUTER or disk utility or disk warrior. What happened to my main drive.

How can I go about trying to even look at it.
Is the only way to insert a mac disk and hold control C down on bootup??
--

LlamaWorks Equipment

Jet
Premium
join:2002-01-03
reply to Anav

You can use Disk Utility that is included in the OS to format and copy your existing disk as an image on the new disk. It will also automatically copy your hidden Apple partition as well.
»[OS X] HD Cloning..

Jet

*BTW I used a USB to SATA cable to do the formatting and copying.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to Anav

I have the usb to sata cabling etc. not a problem. So far I have cloned to my external 2TB drive successfully and now to an SSD drive. MY issue is that the original 320gig internal harddrive is no longer visible. The computer does not see it at all for startup and when I boot off the external drive and using disk utility its as if the internal drive does not exist. So not quite sure what to do with that.

So any advice on that appreciated.

My next question.. I have cloned the entire internal to the external and the intended SSD drive. BUT, that includes all files which amount to 204gb. The SSD drive is 240gb. I am also loading up an internal 2.5 500gb drive for the optical bay position when the SSD replaces the 3.5 internal. HOW do load up the 2.5 500gb drive ONLY with data files. I want to keep the system OS, and applications on the SSD but put everything else on the storage 2.5 drive.
Does this make sense?
And on the clone program which files directories do I choose to ensure I have access to all the data files on the current clone copy.
My plan is to put these on the 500gb drive and erase them from the SSD drive.
--

LlamaWorks Equipment