share rss forum feed

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Arris TM722G purchased from Best Buy?

Everyone,

In doing research on my "new" modem that I am now renting from Comcast, I came across this blog post by David Trebacz.

»blog.trebacz.com/2012/01/comcast···ris.html

In it, he documents his process of taking the device out of the box, and setting it up in his home. I will say it is a very detailed description, complete with pictures of the box, and everything in the box.

Of note, is the following statement

quote:
I'm not a big fan of paying a $7 per month rental fee in my area, so I purchased a modem from the Best Buy in Crystal Lake, Illinois for $149. I paid for the modem at Best Buy. It took the representative a couple minutes to set things up so I could check out at Best Buy.

I bring this up as I recall a lot of people on here having issues with trying to find a place to purchase D3 eMTA's. Apparently, this is one that you can purchase from Best Buy.

David also has a link to a PDF document that lists all the Best Buy's that carry this device. In that list is the Best Buy Store #, and the Full address location (Address, City, State, and Zip Code).

The date at the top of the page says "Sunday, January 22, 2012". So, not sure if this still applies anymore or not, but I figured I would share it with everyone in case it still did.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

1 edit
Curious that it is branded with Comcast if it was purchased from Best Buy

***Edit - Never mind in Comcast areas Best Buy sells Comcast self install kits

Not in a Comcast area, so that is new to me.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
It's part of a partner program Comcast has with BestBuy stores in select markets where they are authorized to sell approved voice modems.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

jmdomini
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Sycamore, IL
reply to plencnerb
I went looking for one at their Aurora,IL store a few months ago and couldn't find any. Asked one of the sales persons and she said they stopped selling them a long time ago. Also visit the Rockford store somewhat regularly and have never seen them there either.

Seems like Comcast might have killed off this program?

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
said by jmdomini:

I went looking for one at their Aurora,IL store a few months ago and couldn't find any. Asked one of the sales persons and she said they stopped selling them a long time ago. Also visit the Rockford store somewhat regularly and have never seen them there either.

Seems like Comcast might have killed off this program?

That is why I posted this, and made a reference to the date of the blog.

I thought I read somewhere about a deal between Best Buy and Comcast, but then I thought I read that Comcast had ended that.

If that was this, then maybe that is why you could not find any at the stores you listed. I did check the PDF that I was talking about that David posted in his blog, and you should have been able to get them there, if these are the places you went to

For "Aurora"

Best Buy #310
Address: 4400 E New York St
Aurora, IL. 60504

For "Rockford"

Best Buy # 45
Address: 281 Deane Dr
Rockford, IL. 61107

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to plencnerb
Im my market it was killed after a year. In the entire year 3 units were sold. All the outcry about purchasing modems, then no one purchased modems lol.

flwpwr

@comcast.net
said by trythisfirst :

Im my market it was killed after a year. In the entire year 3 units were sold. All the outcry about purchasing modems, then no one purchased modems lol.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pretty sure it died rather quickly as there were not enough sales to justify stock space.

aabaaf1

@comcast.net
It died, because despite paying the $149 to buy it, you then HAD TO setup a PROFESSIONAL install for something most on these forums can do themselves. Screw on a few cables, and use their cell to call XFinity, to get the modem activated.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
yea cause its that easy to get phone switch routing changed, 911 data updated, hooking up alarms, backfeeding to other phone outlets, etc.....
--
I'm better than you!

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
said by gar187er:

yea cause its that easy to get phone switch routing changed, 911 data updated, hooking up alarms, backfeeding to other phone outlets, etc.....

It is interesting that I never had any problems doing self installs for other mainstream VoIP providers such as CallVantage and Vonage (and I personally know of many non-techs who also had no problems doing so).

The phone switch routing is changed by the number port process, and I can't imagine what part an on-site vendor installer would have to play in that.

The 911 update is done from information provided by the end user, and I also don't see what part an on-site vendor installer would play there either.

Connecting to existing in-house telco wiring is the only thing I can think of that an on-site vendor installer might need to get involved in for a typical residential VoIP installation (but as I have said, other VoIP providers have successful self installs by simply publishing simple illustrated guides to walk a customer through doing the simple steps needed to integrate a VoIP adapter's FXS interface with existing telco wiring).

Having said that, I have certainly setup many enterprise level VoIP systems, but those jobs involved major IT infrastructure changes and installing and setting up multiple (sometimes hundreds) of IP phones. That kind of job is several orders of magnitude greater than activating a single residential telephone line.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to trythisfirst
said by trythisfirst :

Right.. it doesn't make economic sense. If you could buy your own modem, which you couldn't -- only the comast approved and branded device -- maybe it would as the price would be lower.

But $149 + tax takes you almost 2 years to break even. What are the chances you still use Comcast in 2 years? And if so, then what are the chances in those 2 years you have some sort of issue and Comcast blames it on the modem?
--
PRescott7-2097