spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

leanonme

@verizon.net

STBs not working with ethernet ONT connection

When i had FIOS installed i chose to have the Actiontec router connected to the ONT by ethernet. Initially, the STBs worked until i did a factory reset on the router. Now, the STBs no longer show up under My Network. The STBs show an IP address of 0.0.0.0 and are Offline for Network Status. No matter what i try, whether it's powering off and on the STBs and the router, or using the online reset, nothing gets them to reconnect so program guide and other features will not work. The STBs are SD. Has anyone had this problem before or have any ideas on how to solve it?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1

You need Coax for the STbs

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to leanonme

The factory reset the coax bridging to off, which is the default. You need to find the advanced setting to re-enable it.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to leanonme

Even though you have a cat5 WAN connection from the ONT to the router, you still need a coax connection to the router to provide a MOCA LAN signal for the STBs. The STBs get to the internet through the router.

@ Jackarino See Profile That answer is incomplete. Yes, the STBs need coax, but the OP must have them connected via coax or he wouldn't have a picture. It sounds like it's the coax connection to the router that is missing.

@ PJL See Profile The Actiontec will autodetect if it's WAN connection is cat5 or coax. No need to change any settings.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

said by More Fiber:

... PJL See Profile The Actiontec will autodetect if it's WAN connection is cat5 or coax. No need to change any settings.

Apparently something broke when the OP performed the router reset. The STBs were functioning properly before that indicating they were properly connected.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to leanonme

said by leanonme :

Has anyone had this problem before or have any ideas on how to solve it?

Most times rebooting the router does not interfere with device connectivity once it is restarted, but sometimes it does. Then, it's helpful to boot in sequence.

Depending on how far out you go, boot ONT first, then router, then attached devices. Wait sufficient time for each step to stabilize before moving on to the next.

You need to unplug the power cord from the wall to turn off the STB. After the router has rebooted and status lights show internet connectivity, plug the STB power cord back in.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to PJL

said by PJL:

Apparently something broke when the OP performed the router reset. The STBs were functioning properly before that indicating they were properly connected.

Not necessarily. The OP was using the presence of guide data to determine the STBs were/were not functioning. Since the STBs store 10 days of guide data, that's not an accurate method of determining if the STBs have internet connectivity. VOD is a much better indicator of STB connectivity.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.