Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

1 recommendation

OwlSaver to rockwell4

Premium Member

to rockwell4

Re: Tapping fiber

If security is your concern, I would not worry about the last mile - I would worry about the data once it leaves Verizon's network. Verizon (and AT&T) can offer you highly secure data/voice services, for a fee.
LFHC
join:2012-11-04
Collinsville, VA

LFHC to rockwell4

to rockwell4
I seen this post and thought it was interesting, Something none of you have mentioned as far as being able to tap into a customers data you wouldn't need to ever touch the fiber Now I have never had FIOS but based on the ONT's they have a ethernet jack you could easily put a splitter there and have access to their network. someone correct me if im wrong, Like I said ive never had FIOS so that doing it that way might not be possible.
buckweet1980
join:2011-12-31
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980

said by LFHC:

I seen this post and thought it was interesting, Something none of you have mentioned as far as being able to tap into a customers data you wouldn't need to ever touch the fiber Now I have never had FIOS but based on the ONT's they have a ethernet jack you could easily put a splitter there and have access to their network. someone correct me if im wrong, Like I said ive never had FIOS so that doing it that way might not be possible.

Very valid statement and ethernet sniffing is easily done. For most installs the ONT is within the user's premises, so physical access has to be gained inside the home/facility. There are times that they are installed externally, but once again physical access close to the user premises has to be gained.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

#1 You would need the ethernet port to be active -it's usually not
#2 If it was active you would need to hide the splitter and any run away from the ONT since its pretty visible when additional wires are coming out of it.

Security of the ONT and its fiber or copper is the least of your concerns when a little social engineering and spyware installed on your PC would grant me far more and better access than any tap would.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to buckweet1980

to buckweet1980
If there is a certain risk vs. reward expensive equipment may be a good investment. It may be out side of the reach of an average hobby hacker but not for someone who has criminal intentions.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

If someone wants your data , there are far better ways to get it then tapping your FiOS line. The only thing that can be gotten from that is live data transmissions. Think of the REAMS of data that is flowing at any time on a business circuit.