uniqs

stev32k
Premium Member
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

stev32k

Premium Member

Cleaning oil off of concrete

My concrete garage floor has oil stains that I would like to remove. What works - soap & water, pressure washer, or some type of bottled cleaner? Has anybody cleaned oil off concrete successfully?
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

harald

The problem is that it isn't on the concrete - it's in it.

Trisodium Phosphate with a little laundry detergent added, will slowly work at it. I don't know the long-term implications of using it, however.

Let it soak for as long as your patience a;lows.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to stev32k

Premium Member

to stev32k
A paste made of plain Tide laundry soap (the powdered one) and a little water has worked well for me in the past... Work it in with a stiff brush, let it sit for a couple of hours, the wash it off.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

tcope to stev32k

Premium Member

to stev32k
Pick up some cheap cat litter and pour some on the stain. Crush and work it into the concrete by walking on it an twisting your shoes. Sweep away. I've done this and it works very well.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to stev32k

Premium Member

to stev32k
If it's fresh you can clean it with detergent. and a brush.
If it's old use a powerful degreaser to remove what's at the surface. The spot will come back though, but give it few years and it will slowly fade away.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma to stev32k

Premium Member

to stev32k
said by stev32k:

My concrete garage floor has oil stains that I would like to remove. What works - soap & water, pressure washer, or some type of bottled cleaner? Has anybody cleaned oil off concrete successfully?

Why don't you just stain the rest of the floor with some used oil, then you wouldn't know where the original stain was.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to stev32k

Premium Member

to stev32k
I've used a combination of the suggestions made by tcope and LazMan. I start with the cat litter, but use a brick to really grind it into powder so that it can get into the pores of the concrete. Leave it for a day or two so it can work its magic. Once that's swept up, then I use the laundry soap paste. (Dawn dishwashing soap might also work quite well as it has some pretty decent degreasing power).

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to stev32k

MVM

to stev32k
I realize that this might be akin to heresy to suggest this, but... Amway markets a very effective stain remover for oil/grease stains on concrete. At least, they used to. it has been many years since I've seen it used. It's the best stuff I've ever seen. The only problem with it, is getting rid of the Amway salesman afterward. As I remember, it was fairly pricey, compared to other commercial products, but it was remarkable in how well it works. A lot depends upon how long the stain has been there. Old stains are pretty-well imbedded into the concrete and may never completely come out.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

That was/is the biggest problem with Amway - they actually do have some excellent products. It's dealing with the company/sales staff that's the problem!

But I digress...

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to stev32k

MVM

to stev32k
In addition to Tide, Dawn, and Cat Litter, Simple Green also works well.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

Majestik to stev32k

Premium Member

to stev32k
Might as well try citrus.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to stev32k

to stev32k
I used a 3100 PSI pressure washer on my concrete walkway.
It cleaned EVERYTHING!

I used a 3100 PSI pressure washer on my asphalt driveway.
It ripped ALL the asphalt (well, joking, I kinda stopped when pieces of asphalt started flying off).

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to stev32k

Premium Member

to stev32k
Thank you for all for the suggestions. I too have an embedded oil stain in the garage. As soon as it gets warmer (in the spring), I will give these suggestions a shot.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to cdru

MVM

to cdru
said by cdru:

In addition to Tide, Dawn, and Cat Litter, Simple Green also works well.

+1 for Simple Green and cat litter.

I soak up the excess with litter, then apply full strength Simple Green and scrub it with a broom. Then let it soak in for awhile. Soak it all up with cat litter.

Move the litter around every so often so the saturated parts get moved off the stain. It might take a couple days of soaking and changing the litter a couple times, but it works.

Wheezer
@direcway.com

Wheezer to stev32k

Anon

to stev32k
try Muriatic Acid if you can find it
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to stev32k

to stev32k
for tougher stains...floor etcher...the stuff used to prep floors for painting.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to stev32k

Mod

to stev32k
Sprinkling a dry 1/4" layer of Portland cement on the stain and leaving it for an extended period works very well. You can also make a poultice using mineral spirits with the Portland to make a paste. Apply it to the stain (1/4 to 1/2" thick) and leave that on it until it drys or even longer. Just don't let the Portland get wet or it will harden.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to stev32k

Premium Member

to stev32k
Liquid Tide and a brush.

When done hose it off.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV
·StarLink
·HughesNet

DataDoc

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

When done hose it off.

Always good advice.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

1 recommendation

aurgathor to Wheezer

to Wheezer
said by Wheezer :

I think that may get rid of the concrete, too.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by aurgathor:

said by Wheezer :

. . . but then he could fill the hole with more concrete, easy fix (after the required 6 weeks of constant water washing).
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

Zach to stev32k

Premium Member

to stev32k
I've had good luck with Zep Concrete and Masonry Cleaner....

»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N ··· Id=10051

and for really nasty concrete staining, Zep Industrial Purple Degreaser...

»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N ··· Id=10051

BK3
join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL

BK3 to tcope

to tcope
said by tcope:

Pick up some cheap cat litter and pour some on the stain. Crush and work it into the concrete by walking on it an twisting your shoes. Sweep away. I've done this and it works very well.

I have done this also, and it works surprisingly well.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to stev32k

to stev32k
Cat litter absolutely works wonders for fresh stains.

stev32k
Premium Member
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

stev32k

Premium Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. A big problem is the age of the stains. Some are several years old. I have a 3,000 psi pressure washer so think I'll try that in combination with some of the cleaners recommended here.

It's going to be a pretty good size job because there is a lot of stuff to be moved before I can put water on the floor.

Muriatic Acid might work. That is the main ingredient of concrete etching products. The problem is it will etch the top of the concrete and if you don't do every square inch it looks bad.

A citric acid paste might work. That stuff is a very effective degreaser. The problem with that is I don't think I can buy it locally and it would have to be ordered online.

I'll try a couple of the bottled degreaser products from Lowes. I suspect the stains are too old for cat litter or portland cement to work.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

Try the pressure washer first with some normal degreaser before starting to think of complicated alternatives.

3000 PSI is mighty powerful.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV
·StarLink
·HughesNet

DataDoc to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

said by Wheezer :

I used a VERY diluted solutionto clean a concrete slab before laying tile. Used a galvanized bucket and it took the zinc right off.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to stev32k

Premium Member

to stev32k
Acid solutions will not dissolve oils. It will dissolve the concrete, however.

Make a hot solution of Dawn detergent and baking soda to dissolve the oil. Use a stiff brush.

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired to stev32k

to stev32k
Another for portland cement. Clean it up before it rains.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger to stev32k

Premium Member

to stev32k
There are many ways to successfully cleaning oil off of concrete. Unfortunately in many cases a clearly visible stain can be left behind. A real problem if on the outside driveway in a home located in development with a Nazi HOA.

Often the only way to get rid of the stain involves using acid. There are acid products for removing oil stains. It will not harm the concrete and no its not like blood of an "Alien" ala "Alien", "Aliens" from the movies of the same name or the sequels.