Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
reply to aurgathor

Re: Cleaning oil off of concrete

said by aurgathor:

said by Wheezer :

try Muriatic Acid if you can find it

I think that may get rid of the concrete, too.

. . . but then he could fill the hole with more concrete, easy fix (after the required 6 weeks of constant water washing).

--
November is National Epilepsy Month

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota
reply to stev32k
I've had good luck with Zep Concrete and Masonry Cleaner....

»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ···Id=10051

and for really nasty concrete staining, Zep Industrial Purple Degreaser...

»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ···Id=10051
--
Zach

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo
reply to tcope
said by tcope:

Pick up some cheap cat litter and pour some on the stain. Crush and work it into the concrete by walking on it an twisting your shoes. Sweep away. I've done this and it works very well.

I have done this also, and it works surprisingly well.
--
Learn from the past and look to the future.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to stev32k
Cat litter absolutely works wonders for fresh stains.

stev32k
Premium
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Southeast
reply to stev32k
Thanks for all the suggestions. A big problem is the age of the stains. Some are several years old. I have a 3,000 psi pressure washer so think I'll try that in combination with some of the cleaners recommended here.

It's going to be a pretty good size job because there is a lot of stuff to be moved before I can put water on the floor.

Muriatic Acid might work. That is the main ingredient of concrete etching products. The problem is it will etch the top of the concrete and if you don't do every square inch it looks bad.

A citric acid paste might work. That stuff is a very effective degreaser. The problem with that is I don't think I can buy it locally and it would have to be ordered online.

I'll try a couple of the bottled degreaser products from Lowes. I suspect the stains are too old for cat litter or portland cement to work.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
Try the pressure washer first with some normal degreaser before starting to think of complicated alternatives.

3000 PSI is mighty powerful.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
reply to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

said by Wheezer :

try Muriatic Acid if you can find it

I think that may get rid of the concrete, too.

I used a VERY diluted solutionto clean a concrete slab before laying tile. Used a galvanized bucket and it took the zinc right off.
--
Four more years of cronyism, payoffs, bad energy policy and 60's radicals being in charge. Thanks for ruining our country.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to stev32k
Acid solutions will not dissolve oils. It will dissolve the concrete, however.

Make a hot solution of Dawn detergent and baking soda to dissolve the oil. Use a stiff brush.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD
reply to stev32k
Another for portland cement. Clean it up before it rains.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to stev32k
There are many ways to successfully cleaning oil off of concrete. Unfortunately in many cases a clearly visible stain can be left behind. A real problem if on the outside driveway in a home located in development with a Nazi HOA.

Often the only way to get rid of the stain involves using acid. There are acid products for removing oil stains. It will not harm the concrete and no its not like blood of an "Alien" ala "Alien", "Aliens" from the movies of the same name or the sequels.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
said by Blogger:

There are acid products for removing oil stains.

Link please-- acid is not a solvent for oil.

said by Blogger:

It will not harm the concrete

Again, link please. I can't think of any acid which would not be somewhat detrimental to concrete.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
Please note I distinguished between oil cleaning as opposed to cleaning the oil stain that is often left behind.

Do your own Googling if you're genuinely interested in finding a specific product.

If I could remember the name of the product I successfully used after a traditional cleaning product and that is acid based and is specifically made for removing oil stains I would post it here.

Also, please note effecting or interacting with the concrete is not the same as "harm" any more than successful surgery to correct an ailment is harming your body.

Otherwise try a search engine of your choice.

Thank you.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
I could Google all night, but I still would not find an acid cleaner designed to remove oil stains from anything because acid does not act on oil. You made the statement -- back it up.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
reply to stev32k
I've always heard using Murattic Acid fed into a pressure washer's chemical injection system works well.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

2 edits
reply to robbin
Dear troll. It is oil stains--or more accurately stains left behind by oil and the deposits or substances contained in oil are what I have twice now referenced.

I'll give you an hint. Go out and get your hand all greasy and covered with dirty oil. Really a mess isn't it. It can at times takes some real scrubbing with traditional cleaning agents like soaps or other such products.

However, open a new can of HD motor oil. Pour into and on your hands. Why it cleans your hands off all most instantly with a with little friction between the palms/hands. All that is left is some fine clean oil that easily washes of with warm water and soap.

Typical "Oil stains" are not the kind of Oil that comes out your unopened HD Motor Oil container. They are oil mixed up with all sorts of "dirt." Some really tough to clean "dirt" and more so because of the porousness of the concrete.

So after using all of the best non-acid products and you have cleaned off the oil but not the stain the dirty oil left behind. Get it--the stain not the oil? You do know the difference between a stain and the substance that can cause a stain either directly from the substance itself or a chemical reaction to a substance?

Also, you do realize I can stick my arm up to the elbow in "acid" and have anything from nothing more than a mild tinkling and very minor 24 hour irritation or have it horribly burned with massive tissue destruction.

Why how is that possible? Could it be there are different types of acid and more relevantly acids or acid based products to be even more specific can have differing levels of strength or acidity.

Now if you want an answer, (which IMO you don't), go do your own research or googling.

You're the one making the claim. You are the plaintiff. You are the accuser. You are the "prosecution." It is up to you to prove your case which in this instance alleges: I am lying about my successful use of acid products designed specifically to clean up oil stains and that no such products exist or has ever existed and finally that the acid will harm the concrete to a degree of relevance.

Good luck on doing your duty and fulfilling your responsibility.

Ah time for some Netflix. Something much more important than writing this post.

Of course any genuinely interested person that posts in this thread posts in response to the OP and tries to offer advice to assist them.

Unfortunately there all ways some others that go off topic to what the OP is seeking and are simply looking to start a "fight."

So your tolling toward me ends here and I will not get into a flame war with you.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to TheTechGuru
Nonsense! You need to listen to the poster "robbin," he says acid is completely ineffective against oil and or oil stains.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Blogger
Oil attracts dirt. Acid removes dirt. Acid etches concrete. Etching concrete damages concrete. Acid does not remove an oil stain but it may remove the dirt attracted to it while at the same time etching and damaging the concrete.

The proper way to attack an oil stain is to attack the oil. Acid will not do that.

Oh, and you seem to have approved of a suggestion to run muratic acid through the pump of a pressure washer. Hydrochloric acid dissolves metal. Now we are not only damaging the concrete but also the pressure washer. Wow

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
reply to stev32k
Acid is not a solution for removing oil stains.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
reply to stev32k
Use detergent concoctions to remove the worst of the oil stain, acid to etch the concrete, and paint the damn floor with a good concrete enamel.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
reply to stev32k
Google: How to remove oil stains from Concrete

The information you need is there.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to stev32k
Forget removing it just epoxy the entire floor!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
reply to stev32k
Since I got rid of the Toyota pickup truck I haven't had any new spots in my garage. I just put a piece of Linoleum under it.

boaterbob
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Moncks Corner, SC
reply to Jack_in_VA
I've always had excellent success with this product:
»www.pour-n-restore.com/oilstain.htm

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

1 recommendation

reply to stev32k
said by stev32k:

Has anybody cleaned oil off concrete successfully?

No

--
November is National Epilepsy Month

stev32k
Premium
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

The problem with using google is there are dozens (maybe hundreds) of products that claim to clean oil off concrete. I'm very skeptical of products advertised on the internet when I can't find anyone that has used them.

One can find almost anything using google. The problem is that just because it's on the internet does not mean it's true, or it works, or even that it exists. Google is great, but you have to use some caution and not rely solely on some internet blurb.

In other words just because you find an answer to a question using google does not mean it is the right answer.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

I've always heard using Murattic Acid fed into a pressure washer's chemical injection system works well.

Never, ever try this. Muriatic acid (aka hydrochloric acid) is a highly corrosive acid which eats metals. It will cause burns on skin/eyes and ruin the pressure washer.

SychoSly
Scoot the World
Premium
join:2004-01-22
Mount Prospect, IL
reply to stev32k
Once you do clean off the oil stains you should consider sealing the garage floor. Gives the floor a nice finish and helps protect from future staining.
--
~Sly

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to stev32k
said by stev32k:

said by Jack_in_VA:

The problem with using google is there are dozens (maybe hundreds) of products that claim to clean oil off concrete. I'm very skeptical of products advertised on the internet when I can't find anyone that has used them.

One can find almost anything using google. The problem is that just because it's on the internet does not mean it's true, or it works, or even that it exists. Google is great, but you have to use some caution and not rely solely on some internet blurb.

In other words just because you find an answer to a question using google does not mean it is the right answer.

Ok so you don't trust Google because it's on the internet yet you come here and will trust what you get? This by the way is also the internet and this forum consists of many individuals. Just because you get an answer here does not in any way mean it's the right answer.

Like any research tool internet or library, Google requires a certain amount of ability to evaluate the information. If a person can't do that then yes it's almost worthless.

stev32k
Premium
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Southeast
said by Jack_in_VA:

Like any research tool internet or library, Google requires a certain amount of ability to evaluate the information. If a person can't do that then yes it's almost worthless.

My point exactly.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to stev32k
said by stev32k:

My concrete garage floor has oil stains that I would like to remove. What works - soap & water, pressure washer, or some type of bottled cleaner? Has anybody cleaned oil off concrete successfully?

All I can tell you is that I had a real problem at one time with numerous “oil stains” of various ages on my concrete driveway. I tried several products without any acid in them that all guaranteed absolutely positively to clean oil and oil stains off the concrete driveway. I tried three of them. The first product cleaned most or all of the oil itself off of the concrete. But as I mentioned in my first post there all though the surface of the concrete was not clean to the touch an “oil stain” remained. The next two had little or no greater affect on the remaining stains.

Remember unused motor oil is actually very clean and very smooth with even viscosity. However, once it runs in your car for X miles it gets very dirty and picks up lots of deposits of various compositions. Ever been around to see extremely old oil drained from a car. It is all most pure sludge. It sure doesn’t look like oil from a can or bottle. So the “ oil stain” usually isn’t just from clean oil but is from a mixture of oil and other dirty material and apparently the latter may not be affected or all of the liquid or semi-solids that sat on the ground will frequently leave behind a stain after the actual staining agent is removed.

The next product I tried also was a specific off the shelf product to “guaranteed” to clean “oil stains” off the concrete driveway. It contained among other things in its ingredients an acid. I do not know remember the name of the product or the type of acid or level of acidity or of the product. Acid like all most any solution can come in varying degrees of potency or strength with the strongest being hundreds of time more powerful than the weakest. Even common things in life like vinegar and lemon juice or what is known as acid rain have acidity to them.

Anyway I tried the product specifically sold for cleaning the concrete of the oil stains and it finished the job.

I hope you have better luck than I did. There are lots of products available both those that do not rely upon acidity and those that do.

I never said I used pure acid such as Muriatic or Hydrochloric. And I referred to cleaning Oil stains as opposed to cleaning oil. The two are not usually the same you know.

There are plenty of retail sources you can go and check with from long-time experienced professional auto mechanics as to what they recommend to going to a place like Home Depot or a large auto parts store. I’m sure there are other many sources too. Not only can you choose from the selection of products but you can ask for advice from the seller as to what product do they recommend.

In addition there are household cleaning agents such Dawn soap, TSP or imitation TSP and other household cleaners that specifically list on as things their products are effective many include the claimed specific ability to clean oil and grease.

Good luck.