uniqs
share rss forum feed

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to stev32k

Re: Cleaning oil off of concrete

Forget removing it just epoxy the entire floor!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
reply to stev32k
Since I got rid of the Toyota pickup truck I haven't had any new spots in my garage. I just put a piece of Linoleum under it.

boaterbob
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Moncks Corner, SC
reply to Jack_in_VA
I've always had excellent success with this product:
»www.pour-n-restore.com/oilstain.htm

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

1 recommendation

reply to stev32k
said by stev32k:

Has anybody cleaned oil off concrete successfully?

No

--
November is National Epilepsy Month

stev32k
Premium
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Google: How to remove oil stains from Concrete

The information you need is there.

The problem with using google is there are dozens (maybe hundreds) of products that claim to clean oil off concrete. I'm very skeptical of products advertised on the internet when I can't find anyone that has used them.

One can find almost anything using google. The problem is that just because it's on the internet does not mean it's true, or it works, or even that it exists. Google is great, but you have to use some caution and not rely solely on some internet blurb.

In other words just because you find an answer to a question using google does not mean it is the right answer.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

I've always heard using Murattic Acid fed into a pressure washer's chemical injection system works well.

Never, ever try this. Muriatic acid (aka hydrochloric acid) is a highly corrosive acid which eats metals. It will cause burns on skin/eyes and ruin the pressure washer.

SychoSly
Scoot the World
Premium
join:2004-01-22
Mount Prospect, IL
reply to stev32k
Once you do clean off the oil stains you should consider sealing the garage floor. Gives the floor a nice finish and helps protect from future staining.
--
~Sly

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to stev32k
said by stev32k:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Google: How to remove oil stains from Concrete

The information you need is there.

The problem with using google is there are dozens (maybe hundreds) of products that claim to clean oil off concrete. I'm very skeptical of products advertised on the internet when I can't find anyone that has used them.

One can find almost anything using google. The problem is that just because it's on the internet does not mean it's true, or it works, or even that it exists. Google is great, but you have to use some caution and not rely solely on some internet blurb.

In other words just because you find an answer to a question using google does not mean it is the right answer.

Ok so you don't trust Google because it's on the internet yet you come here and will trust what you get? This by the way is also the internet and this forum consists of many individuals. Just because you get an answer here does not in any way mean it's the right answer.

Like any research tool internet or library, Google requires a certain amount of ability to evaluate the information. If a person can't do that then yes it's almost worthless.

stev32k
Premium
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Southeast
said by Jack_in_VA:

Like any research tool internet or library, Google requires a certain amount of ability to evaluate the information. If a person can't do that then yes it's almost worthless.

My point exactly.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to stev32k
said by stev32k:

My concrete garage floor has oil stains that I would like to remove. What works - soap & water, pressure washer, or some type of bottled cleaner? Has anybody cleaned oil off concrete successfully?

All I can tell you is that I had a real problem at one time with numerous “oil stains” of various ages on my concrete driveway. I tried several products without any acid in them that all guaranteed absolutely positively to clean oil and oil stains off the concrete driveway. I tried three of them. The first product cleaned most or all of the oil itself off of the concrete. But as I mentioned in my first post there all though the surface of the concrete was not clean to the touch an “oil stain” remained. The next two had little or no greater affect on the remaining stains.

Remember unused motor oil is actually very clean and very smooth with even viscosity. However, once it runs in your car for X miles it gets very dirty and picks up lots of deposits of various compositions. Ever been around to see extremely old oil drained from a car. It is all most pure sludge. It sure doesn’t look like oil from a can or bottle. So the “ oil stain” usually isn’t just from clean oil but is from a mixture of oil and other dirty material and apparently the latter may not be affected or all of the liquid or semi-solids that sat on the ground will frequently leave behind a stain after the actual staining agent is removed.

The next product I tried also was a specific off the shelf product to “guaranteed” to clean “oil stains” off the concrete driveway. It contained among other things in its ingredients an acid. I do not know remember the name of the product or the type of acid or level of acidity or of the product. Acid like all most any solution can come in varying degrees of potency or strength with the strongest being hundreds of time more powerful than the weakest. Even common things in life like vinegar and lemon juice or what is known as acid rain have acidity to them.

Anyway I tried the product specifically sold for cleaning the concrete of the oil stains and it finished the job.

I hope you have better luck than I did. There are lots of products available both those that do not rely upon acidity and those that do.

I never said I used pure acid such as Muriatic or Hydrochloric. And I referred to cleaning Oil stains as opposed to cleaning oil. The two are not usually the same you know.

There are plenty of retail sources you can go and check with from long-time experienced professional auto mechanics as to what they recommend to going to a place like Home Depot or a large auto parts store. I’m sure there are other many sources too. Not only can you choose from the selection of products but you can ask for advice from the seller as to what product do they recommend.

In addition there are household cleaning agents such Dawn soap, TSP or imitation TSP and other household cleaners that specifically list on as things their products are effective many include the claimed specific ability to clean oil and grease.

Good luck.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to stev32k
said by stev32k:

said by Jack_in_VA:

My point exactly.

You seem to have left out an important point I made:

so you don't trust Google because it's on the internet yet you come here and will trust what you get? This by the way is also the internet and this forum consists of many individuals. Just because you get an answer here does not in any way mean it's the right answer.

You don't trust Google or the other search engines but you trust what you get here? You need the same ability to recognize what is accurate and what is not accurate. A lot of what you get here is inaccurate and only opinions. You have to be able to evaluate it.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to stev32k
Acid doesn't clean oil from concrete. Acid etches the concrete, taking away the oil with it.
Start by remembering what oils are: fatty acids. Acids react with alkaline substances... such as lye... Hint: detergent.

stev32k
Premium
Mobile, AL
reply to stev32k
Has anybody tried steam cleaning concrete? I've cleaned several car engines with steam, but never tried it on concrete. I found a couple of companies that use steam cleaners on driveways, but no mention of specifically removing oil stains.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

Acid doesn't clean oil from concrete. Acid etches the concrete, taking away the oil with it.
Start by remembering what oils are: fatty acids. Acids react with alkaline substances... such as lye... Hint: detergent.

For completeness sake, I shall mention that fuming sulfuric acid (oleum) will react with oils, though it does it a little differently than one might expect. (turns them to charcoal) However, for reason beyond the scope of this message, it is not a product I would recommend to clean oil off of concrete. And it might be a little difficult to acquire some.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to stev32k
The thing to keep in mind with oil stained driveways and in garages... the stain is not ON the concrete... the stain is IN the concrete. Whatever you use to remove a stain has to penetrate the surface, not just lie on it. Especially, for old, soaked in stains. Pressure washing may remove the surface "dirt", but it wont completely remove the stain. Detergents that linger on the stain stand the best chance of removing them from view. Time is your friend in that instance. Apply, walk away, grab a beer, celebrate a family birthday, mow the lawn, go on vacation, and then rinse it away. Re-apply if so inclined, and wait! Give the detergent time to soak in the way the oil did.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
said by Pacrat:

The thing to keep in mind with oil stained driveways and in garages... the stain is not ON the concrete... the stain is IN the concrete.

Thank God at least one person gets it!

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to stev32k
A commercial steam cleaning extractor machine works good, if you have the proper kind. I saw this method used to clean bulk food handling docks at large plants. Lots of road debris and diesel/grease over the years adds up.

You have to pre-treat the target area then use -hot- water into the machine.

The vacuum removes the staining materials instead of just smearing them around.

The vacuum looked like a large stainless steel shop vacuum, with a vacuum wand/sprayer combination head and a 16 ft. hose. Think 'carpet cleaner on steriods'...
--
Don't ask questions -- just do as you're told.

stev32k
Premium
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Southeast
said by John Galt:

A commercial steam cleaning extractor machine works good, if you have the proper kind. I saw this method used to clean bulk food handling docks at large plants. Lots of road debris and diesel/grease over the years adds up.

You have to pre-treat the target area then use -hot- water into the machine.

The vacuum removes the staining materials instead of just smearing them around.

The vacuum looked like a large stainless steel shop vacuum, with a vacuum wand/sprayer combination head and a 16 ft. hose. Think 'carpet cleaner on steriods'...

Do you know what the pre-treatment was? I believe I can rent a small donkey boiler on wheels that puts out 15 lb steam (maybe 50 lb?). If it would work that would be the most painless and quickest way to get the job done.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
Detergent and an alkaline grease cutter (some light yellow clear fluid). Mix in water, apply liberally with a stiff pushbroom, agitate appropriately.

Process.

Rinse and repeat as necessary.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to stev32k
OK, folks, I learned decades ago that the simplest and easiest way to clean oil off of concrete was just to soak it with STP Carburetor Cleaner for a few minutes. I could spray that on an oil spot (even an old one), and in mere seconds the oil would start pulling out of the concrete and bubbling up into the small puddle of cleaner that I'd made. Then I'd wipe that up and repeat, if necessary. No brushing or other elbow grease was necessary.

Then their carb cleaner just seemed to disappear from the market, and their throttle body cleaner didn't seem to work as well, so I switched to using AutoZone Brake Cleaner, since I had that sitting around anyway. It seems to clean just as well, although not quite as fast - but you have to move fast because the stuff evaporates quickly, meaning that you almost always have to make a second pass with it. But lately I've noticed that the STP Carb Cleaner is on the shelves again, so I may switch back to using that. There are any number of similar engine cleaners that would probably work just as well, although as I've already said, the TB cleaner that I tried just didn't really work, since that is probably a weaker solvent designed to not be too harsh on throttle bodies and oxygen sensors and such. Gasoline would probably work, too, but that it not advised due to the fire hazard. Diesel or kerosene might work well, though.

This method works extremely well on smooth concrete, as might be found in a garage or carport or wherever. For rough concrete, though, which will soak up a lot of oil and a lot of cleaner, you'll probably need to use some combination of the cleaner and soap and water.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to stev32k
Just put some Sea Foam on it.

/joke

sparks

join:2001-07-08
Little Rock, AR
reply to stev32k
thats not a joke sea foam can fix anything

I just use oilsorb and a 2x4 on the end of a broom, the push broom type.

kinda grinds as you sweep back and forth. let it sit some and sweep it some more. Its hard to find the spot.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
said by sparks:

thats not a joke sea foam can fix anything

+1 on Sea Foam.

When I was working on marine diesel engines, I got called to one that had been sitting for a couple of years and of course it was locked up. I pulled the injectors and poured Sea Foam in the cylinders every day for week. Finally got the crank shaft to rotate with a crow bar, more Sea Foam then put the starter back on and wound it up without injectors, then more Sea Foam. Put the injectors back in, bled the fuel system, cranked until that old tractor motor started popping and farting. It took about 30 minutes for it to run smooth enough for me to leave for a few hours and just let it run at a high idle.

I'm a believer in Sea Foam, it saved me an engine tear down and that was just one instance.

--
December is National Fruit Cake Month

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to stev32k
dish soaps can do amazingly well on oil. I find it funny how many people rate them higher than specifically designed products.

And I know from when I had an old car and did my own oil changes. dish soap cleaned off my lands and any mess around the work area faster than any so called workshop products or degrease chemicals(short of this foaming yellow stuff they hose the Deli down with at a supermarket before using the sanitize spray. That foaming yellow stuff was amazing went into this thing on the end of a hose and when you opened it up and spray a foam that degreased anything.)
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports