share rss forum feed

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

[WIN8] 40 million licenses of Windows 8 in one month

Microsoft: We've sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses to date

How does this compare to Windows 7 sales? Microsoft said it had sold 60 million Windows 7 licenses from the end of October 2009, its launch date, to the end of January 2010 December 2009. So that's 60 million Windows 7 licenses sold in two months. So far, Microsoft has sold 40 million licenses of Windows 8 in one month.

--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

The fact they're selling it for $49.99 might have something to do with it.

Then I wonder how many people have bought it, upgraded, and absolutely hate the radical change.......

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

said by captokita:

The fact they're selling it for $49.99 might have something to do with it.

Yep, the price is good.

Then I wonder how many people have bought it, upgraded, and absolutely hate the radical change.......

Or love it? Or who just use it and don't much care either way? Who knows.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

reply to captokita

Windows 8 is a true PARADIGM shift and I do suspect that Windows 8 will be embraced by many hundreds of millions.

WHAT IS A PARADIGM SHIFT?

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

Yep, the price is good.

TOO good if you ask me. I would rather see copies of 7 going for that price. I know MS wants people to go to 8, but..... $50 makes it almost too good to pass up, until you install it, realize it doesn't work for you, and now you're stuck. Some people will just eat the $50 (versus $150 like before)

quote:
Or love it? Or who just use it and don't much care either way? Who knows.
Good point! I'm sure many people love it/will love it, I happen to fall under the "don't like it" column, and nearly everyone I've talked to that has used it also feel that way. I'm running it on my home machine so I can better support it for people, but damn.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

said by captokita:

Good point! I'm sure many people love it/will love it, I happen to fall under the "don't like it" column, and nearly everyone I've talked to that has used it also feel that way. I'm running it on my home machine so I can better support it for people, but damn.

I've been running it on work and home machines for several months. I think I see the "metro" screen about once a day. Which, honestly, is about as often as I clicked the start menu in 7. My working set of programs isn't that large.

As I said in another post - do people really spend a large amount of time using Start to launch apps? Why? You have like 1000 apps you run daily?

I'm constantly flipping between osX, Linux, and Windows (and iOS and Android and WP8) - so my work habits have to be tuned to be cross platform anyway. Maybe that's why such a minor change as the Start menu going away doesn't really impact me at all.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

I did a wholesale upgrade of 7 machines at home. Not only do I like Win8, I think it's the future of MS computing. Also, with an existing Xbox 360 and future Windows tablets, Xbox, phones and touch-screen desktops on the near horizon for the family, this was a nice springboard to getting ready for the future.

The nice thing is, Win8 provides the flexibility to use the computer in whatever way you feel with the press of a single button. It gives everyone a choice as to how he/she wants to use the computer.
--
After reading postings from the self so-called experts on the MS and Apple forums, I just have to shake my head sadly.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to captokita

said by captokita:

said by JohnInSJ:

Yep, the price is good.

TOO good if you ask me. I would rather see copies of 7 going for that price. I know MS wants people to go to 8, but..... $50 makes it almost too good to pass up, until you install it, realize it doesn't work for you, and now you're stuck. Some people will just eat the $50 (versus $150 like before)

Without sounding like a troll.....

I know if Win 7 was as cheap as this Win 8 for release I'd be into a dozen copies straight up, however I'm reading Win 8 to be akin to Vista.

Was the aero view exploit ever fixed though?
Or the gadgets/widgets exploit?
So a new O/S has less bugs to iron out to save having to sort software they already sold?
Money spinning gives me the $hits at times.
We are spiraling out of control on the sell, then, instead of fix, sell something else of dubious quality to avoid doing the previous job properly.

Sorry for being a little off-topic.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

said by norwegian:

We are spiraling out of control on the sell, then, instead of fix, sell something else of dubious quality to avoid doing the previous job properly.

I doubt that's the reason for Win8. It's clear what the MS strategy is as it moves forward, regardless of whether the old-schoolers can stomach it.

Dubious quality? If that's an objective statement, please support it. I haven't seen or experienced anything that would indicate as such.
--
After reading postings from the self so-called experts on the MS and Apple forums, I just have to shake my head sadly.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

I understand that point on direction, no qualms there.
Is this software aiming at the desktop at all - I doubt it, and maybe I'm of the "old school whine".

Was Win8 rushed to gain market share sales before Xmas like so much other 'popular software' is today?
I'm not in on how much research and development went into this software compared to any other, as I'm not an employee - Vista was a flop, Win 7 was rushed to fix and gain market share back.
I've not even bothered with Win 8 yet and possibly won't and may look at Linux for my needs once Win 7 is out of security updates.

This is a view on how Microsoft processed recent O/S', the way markets want sales for share holders not top quality software that will last a long time, costs of fixes versus cost of gaining new sales and possibly more market share - something Microsoft has been notorious of since it started.
Is this a view on programming quality, no, I'm neither a programmer, nor want to be one.

I can supply links to prove all of my views, but my first line was - "without sounding like a troll"...

I had hoped people here in this specific forum could take constructive criticism.
However the first reply to my comment is reminiscent of the fan-boys of Linux, Apple etc.

It was a view....take it or leave it.

My base comment relative to the topic was, and maybe I should have elaborated more:
If Win 7 was as cheap as Win 8, I'd go out and buy 12 times what I have bought already, so, to the figure of 60 million over 2 months versus 40 million over 1 month, the sales are lagging big time. R&D may not have been a big cost and hence the cheap price.......the share holders would not have it the other way around. I can provide links to that too if required. This is a view not a flame war on Microsoft, which I use daily on all my computers.

I will move on and not get into a battle of your point of view versus mine, and hope the rest of the loyalists can allow someone to be objective of the O/S they love and the history that is carved - it's all about sales is it not?

--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

You're the one making this contentious. I simply asked if you can support "dubious quality" because that isn't something that's been raised before.

Give me a break and stop acting so hurt.
--

TD Nickell
Premium
join:2010-07-27
Federal Way, WA
reply to mozerd

More on Windows 8!

»www.king5.com/news/technology/PC···211.html

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

I simply asked if you can support "dubious quality" because that isn't something that's been raised before.

Okay, I understand your question on my terminology. I'll try to adapt to what I've read and think I understand, even though this may really need to be extended to the security forum not sales topics, and I'll use recent topics, not 10 month old topics.

While it seems they have tried to clear up bad past experiences, it still does not address certain concerns. Certification being the main one. They should have looked it over and moved away for signed software or at least worked with approaching it differently.

Here is a couple of links and the rest only time will produce; remember it is closed code, not open source; please don't ask me to go there either.

»www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/25···t_ready/
»www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenbe···easures/
»www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/01···already/
»threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/vupen···t-110112
»VUPEN has 0-day exploit for Windows 8 & IE 10
»www.pcworld.com/article/2013512/···les.html

Some may say these are all hype. The facts are all recent versions of Windows have exploits ready at release and the comments are - "we will see". Some of the non-fixed issues in Windows 7 and the super cheap sales of Windows 8 has me more curious than any previous flavor - speculation on my behalf....

I wish I didn't use those words because for me to produce proof this early, well it is not possible at my level. Time will tell.

This is so way off topic it is ridiculous, I apologize for that and understand if mods delete it all.
--

Expand your moderator at work