amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

alternatives are limited

The biggest problem with any alternative is getting everyone you know on the same service. SMS/MMS is "universal," even (and perhaps especially) between those without smartphones.
The other problem is that carriers seem to keep messing with plans - I can't get much other than "unlimited" or "pay as you go." Neither are great options. Quite the comparison though, I dig it.
The carriers know that they have folks suckered into it, and don't see any reason to change. Hopefully, someday, we'll see it included in more post paid plans, perhaps when 4G becomes more prevalent?

anon0123

@northropgrumman.com
Two words: Google Voice

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium
join:2002-12-05
Blackwood, NJ
I do use google voice, but until i can have an android smartphone that gets a full-day's charge with normal use while keeping the data connection on, it's simply a niche. I dont know anyone with a half-way decent android phone that can keep data on all day without a charger and have battery left to go out after work. I know some heavy iphone users in the same boat.

I use txting b/c i can turn my 3G/LTE data connection off to save battery but still use take and rec calls and txts over the much less hungry voice network.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to anon0123
...you didn't actually read the post before replying, did you?

Angrychair

join:2000-09-20
Jacksonville, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Somnambul33t
said by Somnambul33t:

I do use google voice, but until i can have an android smartphone that gets a full-day's charge with normal use while keeping the data connection on, it's simply a niche. I dont know anyone with a half-way decent android phone that can keep data on all day without a charger and have battery left to go out after work. I know some heavy iphone users in the same boat.

I use txting b/c i can turn my 3G/LTE data connection off to save battery but still use take and rec calls and txts over the much less hungry voice network.

You're in luck.

»www.motorola.com/us/consumers/DR···,pd.html

Qreptiles

join:2005-07-20
Grants Pass, OR
reply to Somnambul33t
There is a phone that will do exactly that on Verizon. Razr maxx hd. I got one two weeks ago and with abnormal use I can keep a full days charge.

jgkolt
Premium
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH
reply to Somnambul33t
try getting a samsung S3

stridr69

join:2003-05-19
San Luis Obispo, CA
reply to bt
I did. And I have a Razr Maxx HD and now I never worry about running to get a charger prior to the end of the day. Easily go 15 hours with 2 or 3 hours of online streaming, hour or so of social networking, same with you tube vids(HD stream), hour or so actually using the phone......to make a phone call. Imagine that! Also the galaxy s III, galaxy note 2 are also long lasting phones. Android has finally become a mature OS with 4.0(ICS) and it's only going to get better as phone manufactures get with the program with installing large batteries in their phones.

simlesa
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Astoria, NY
reply to Angrychair
I have the Razr Maxx (which has the same battery as the HD), and no, it can't keep the charge all day. If I keep anything running on the phone all day, I will need a charge in 5-6 hours. Even with this phone, I'm stuck either charging it midday, or carrying a portable battery with me, or just closing any app that maintains a data connection (Google Voice, Skype, or similar).

Angrychair

join:2000-09-20
Jacksonville, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
A data connection with the screen in sleep mode with the screen off, or a data connection with the screen on and you using it the entire time?

If you're claiming the former then it sounds like you either have a defective device or some other kind of problem. If you mean the latter then maybe you should give your phone a break every few hours.

simlesa
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Astoria, NY
I mean I use it to check Facebook and such once every 20-30 minutes. Other times the screen is off, but the phone is not in sleep mode because that would make it not ring. And it's not the particulal phone, because I replaced the first one I had after the screen broke. Because the apps like Google voice depend on a non-stop connection so it can notify you when someone calls/texts/etc. it means they constantly keep the processor running and the data connection open. The phone also heats up a lot due to this.