Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Immer

Re: HTPC Project Build

Okay, so I'm less restricted in space than I had initially thought, which means I'm no longer confined to the miniITX form factor. I can manage a micro-ATX form factor, which will allow me a beefier CPU as recommended. I'm still looking for low-noise, low power consumption, so I'm probably going with the following:
• CPU - AMD A6-3650 APU with AMD Radeon 6530 HD Graphics 2.6GHz.
• MOBO - ASUS F1A75-M PRO R2.0

I've never really cared about noise levels from CPU fans until now... Any advice on finding the most quiet cooling solution for this build?

--
Guild leader of Pride and Ego (US:Nathrezim)
Good times with Great people in the Best way to spend $15/mo.

Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

No, I should have probably considered the same. My shit is loud. I don't notice it when I'm using the HTPC, but I do hear it when everything else is off.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to Immer

said by Immer:

I've never really cared about noise levels from CPU fans until now... Any advice on finding the most quiet cooling solution for this build?

Water can be really, really quiet.

For whatever it's worth the name of the game with quiet and fans is "bigger is quieter." You have X amount of heat to dissipate. Fan 80mm @ 4000RPM (made up RPM number) is louder than 120mm @ 2000RPM but still (if everything is linear and I don't think it is) moves the same amount of air.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

Feralmordius

join:2011-01-18

1 edit
reply to Immer

A self contained CPU water cooling system would be the quietest way to go. They are a lot better now days and require almost no maintenance.

Haven't looked at which ones are good but here is one.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···35181010

EDIT:
After a quick look though, it seems most people suggest Scythe SHURIKEN and not water cooling.
»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00700···070066DI

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8

1 edit

I have heard great things about the Scythe Shuriken... might have to finally give it a go. Thanks!

edit: but it would also be cool to try out that Corsair H50 cooler. hmmm....

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to Immer

I'm using an A8-3870K and the same motherboard for my HTPC, with a Zalman CNPS8900 Extreme for the CPU heatsink. The whole system is nearly silent and runs very cool.
--
KI6RIT