»www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=···of-50%29

coupled with this for outside connections..weather seal ring boot

»www.summitsource.com/weather-sea···229.html

royhandy

join:2012-11-05
USA

1 edit
reply to royhandy

Comcast is coming out tomorrow to replace the aerial drop.

I went and looked at the ground block. It's held in place with one screw. I didn't really look to see if they cleaned off the end of the copper wire but that's probably not that important. There is a piece of rubber at the middle of the block on my house.

BTW, they told me that any upstream reading less than 56dBmV is within spec.

Cablejim1087

join:2012-09-21
Bath, ME

Modem levels should always be below 50. If the drop is bad then your levels and issues will probably be resolved. Ask others in your neighborhod if they rehaving issues.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to royhandy

Telcodads close up picture is ppc fittings, Very important to NOT use dioelectric grease or rubber boots with them. They have o rings for moisture management and need to breath to a certain extent. Outside fittings develope a natural vacuum and if sealed to tight moisture just gets trapped and builds up over time.

royhandy

USA

Don't worry...I don't touch utility gear unless it's the NID and even then only when VZ tells me to.

iaflyer

join:2001-03-29
Ann Arbor, MI
reply to royhandy

I had a similar problem to the OP - in fact, the story is almost the same as mine. What got it fixed for me was calling each day when the packet loss was high - they could see it on their end and would schedule a truck roll. The results would be like the OPs - replace connectors, etc. One thing I did was use a program (can't remember, been years) that showed packet loss and logged it over the entire day - I would print out the results so the tech could see that it wasn't a random problem or that the speed was just a little slow.

Finally it got escalated within Comcast (not by my doing) and they scheduled a bucket-truck to replace a line on the pole. A day or two later it I saw it on the street and all was fixed.

royhandy

USA
reply to royhandy

Wife just called. There are two trucks outside my house.

When I called last night they offered me 1430 to 1630 and I said that I wouldn't be home until later. The CS rep then offered me 1700 to 1900 since it's better if I'm home. Now they're starting before 1300.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

said by royhandy:

Wife just called. There are two trucks outside my house.

When I called last night they offered me 1430 to 1630 and I said that I wouldn't be home until later. The CS rep then offered me 1700 to 1900 since it's better if I'm home. Now they're starting before 1300.

Maybe those times were for the CSR's timezone (India?).

royhandy

USA

2 edits
reply to royhandy

And here is a link to the Line Quality test I just ran:

»/pingtest/b886···/2966971

edit: They came early because they didn't want to work in the dark and they told my wife that there was definitely a problem with the line they replaced.

Downstream sigs are now -1dBmV across the board which is good. Upstream sigs are now 52dBmV on both channels.

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

Telcodads close up picture is ppc fittings, Very important to NOT use dioelectric grease or rubber boots with them. They have o rings for moisture management and need to breath to a certain extent. Outside fittings develope a natural vacuum and if sealed to tight moisture just gets trapped and builds up over time.

What?!?!
Dont use rubber boots? O-rings in them? Where? There is no O ring on the threaded end of a PPC fitting. Why does PPC sell a fitting with the boot already attached to the fitting? Why do Comcast standards and training state the booties be used on all outside fittings? New standards state that the aquatight fitting be used. Uverse and satellite installers use fittings with the rubber boots as well.. Their standards are wrong as well too?

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

Please stick with digging trenches. This advice is totally wrong.
--
Ex-Comcast Tech at the Beach. I speak for myself, not my former employer.

beachintech
Premium
reply to Cablejim1087

said by Cablejim1087:

Modem levels should always be below 50. If the drop is bad then your levels and issues will probably be resolved. Ask others in your neighborhod if they rehaving issues.

Not necessarily true depending on plant design.
--

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA

As you can see im not the only person that doesnt believe in using other sources to contain moisture »www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=137789

beachintech
Premium

said by rody_44:

As you can see im not the only person that doesnt believe in using other sources to contain moisture »www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=137789

Bunch of Dish installers, so... ok? A little grease and those things and you are golden.
--

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uV5f_gEcgI
Not just dish installers. Granted they have the rubber seals with them tho. but they all have the oring seals. Did u not go thru the comcast supplied class years ago where the ppc dude recommended not using grease or secondary boots. Oh i forgot comcast knows more than the people that make them. After all that was a rep from the manufacture that gave the seminar. Anyway the theory goes that sealing them up to tight traps the natural moisture in. Kind of like a house without any venting.

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

So much for your theory that its very important to not use rubber boots. That video shows the boot preinstalled on the fitting. PPC must not be following your advice

beachintech
Premium
reply to rody_44

Our PPC rep told us to use the boots, grease (We are on the shore), or use their Aqua Tight with the integrated boots to save a step.

Again, people that have worked for the company vs contractors overhearing things here.
--

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA

1 edit
reply to rendrenner

That isnt like a boot that was being discussed. Thats part of the fitting and a seal not a boot. The boot being discussed is a stand alone boot that goes over the entire fitting.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to beachintech

The seminar i went to had both contractors and comcast techs present. Not sure why the rep told you guys something different than us. But to this day comcast doesnt even stock the grease here. And hasnt stocked the boots for a good 8 to 10 years. As a contractor i pulled my supplies from the same guy as the inhouse guys.

beachintech
Premium

Funny - mine did.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to rody_44

ummm they still stock the boots, there is a cifa number
--
I'm better than you!

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to royhandy

Re: [Rant] [LONG]A Tale of Three Truck Rolls

just back on topic, as a rule; if your going to get wet, but your rubbers on!!!!
--
I'm better than you!

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
reply to rody_44

Re: [Rant] [LONG]A Tale of Two Truck Rolls

local techs here carry the boots and grease...

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

And thats all comcast techs. You all should recognize the video. Very similiar to the one shown at the seminar. Its from the manufacture . You know the ones that make the big bucks to design the actual fitting. Do any of you see anywhere where they recommend grease or boots.

medbuyer

said by rody_44:

And thats all comcast techs. You all should recognize the video. Very similiar to the one shown at the seminar. Its from the manufacture . You know the ones that make the big bucks to design the actual fitting. Do any of you see anywhere where they recommend grease or boots.

manufacturers make it based on their own design and testing...

real world scenarios varies and may or may not dictate using boots and or grease to add efficiency...

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

Ok so comcast techs are smarter than the people that make them. Enough said. I supplied a video that directly conflicts what you guys think along with the ppc logo on it. Pretty got dam solid in my opinion. No wonder the guy needed three truck rolls.

beachintech
Premium

I dont think you understood the video.

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to rody_44

a boot is the same as using an aquaseal connector...which is opposite of what was shown in the picture with no rubber...rody, i fail to see what is so hard to understand?
--
I'm better than you!

medbuyer

reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

Ok so comcast techs are smarter than the people that make them. Enough said.

duh...don't you realize that not all manufacturers are created equal?

some may know what they're doing, some don't.

I know some that doesn't even have a decent part numbering system much more a work order number to trace what they are manufacturing...

and as far as comcast techs..some are good in the sense that they think, some don't and just tell the customer some bs to get to the next job, in this case, the OP got the latter.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2

I read the PPC AquaSeal connector ads declaring you don't need to use silicone grease with them two ways:

1. you need to use the grease with other connectors

2. it's only a selling point made up by the marketing droids.
ie: »www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=i···&bih=655
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything