Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

Michail

Premium Member

[iPhone] I miss being a sheep in the herd

So we all know a common childish insult is to call us "sheep" but I recently left the herd and I'm missing it a little. Benefits of being an iPhone sheep:

* Plentiful accessories everywhere.

* Apple support (no other company comes close). With others you are at the caring, gentle mercy of the likes of AT&T.

* Problems become national news, heads roll and it gets fixed. Problems for the others - hear the crickets chirping?

* Inexpensive repairs and ease of finding parts.

* Highly refined apps that are frequently updated.

* Compatibility with a wide variety of hardware.

* Airplay/Airprint - they just work fantastically.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Michail:

LOL.. try finding any Lightning connector accessories lately? Yeah thats right, the connector was so secret that Apple didn't even care to work with their major accessory partners ahead of time to have stuff ready...

Inexpensive repairs? ROFL... Thats all...

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

said by Michail:

LOL.. try finding any Lightning connector accessories lately? Yeah thats right, the connector was so secret that Apple didn't even care to work with their major accessory partners ahead of time to have stuff ready...

Inexpensive repairs? ROFL... Thats all...

I had my son's home button fixed for $30 while we waited for 15 minutes. Replacing a broken screen on Samsung phone costs 2-3x as much as an iPhone screen does.

ToxicDrew
Premium Member
join:2001-09-24

1 recommendation

ToxicDrew

Premium Member

When I had my iPhone 4 the screen died a year and 2 months into owning it. I walked into a Apple store 2 months out of warranty and left with a new one at no cost.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to Michail

to Michail
Consumer Reports agrees with you. On their front page they state reliability and service as the #1 reason one should buy Apple products.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

1 recommendation

not quite right to Michail

to Michail
I tried everything else then bought into iPhone original thru iPhone 5 (only skipping the "S's"). If making a smart buying decision that gives me the best overall user experience makes me a sheep then so be it.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

Mike to Michail

Mod

to Michail
I like Lewis Black too much.

I'm loyal to only myself. Apple stuff seems to work for me. When it doesn't work, I'll switch.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· yPyElrnw

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

M A R S

Premium Member

n/m
Expand your moderator at work

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to Michail

MVM

to Michail

Re: [iPhone] I miss being a sheep in the herd

If you are a newbie to the Apple world are you a lamb? Lamb to the slaughter comes to mind.

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
I'm actually on a Lumia 920 right now. I really love the phone but still miss the iPhone some. I switched mainly to get a bigger screen.

MS really made a good platform this time and Nokia is putting forth a surprisingly good effort as well. It's just a little bleeding edge right now. My phone and OS have only been live a few weeks. So I am expecting some issues.

As far as maps go, they kind of suck on the WP8 platform right now. Nokia Drive is in beta and rumors are it may be getting traffic soon. Nokia has a 2D version that uses the same map engine that does have traffic.

StyxKee
join:2001-07-05
GTA, Canada

StyxKee to Michail

to Michail
I do not have a smart phone (iOS, droid or MS) but have a wifi droid tablet. Since the map on iOS6 is a farce, how about trying out Waze (pronounced as "ways". The application uses wifi or data from your smart phone data plan) for real time traffic? Unfortunately, it doesn't have an offer for Windows Phone.

»www.waze.com/

Oops...went way off topic.

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

said by StyxKee:

I do not have a smart phone (iOS, droid or MS) but have a wifi droid tablet. Since the map on iOS6 is a farce, how about trying out Waze (pronounced as "ways". The application uses wifi or data from your smart phone data plan) for real time traffic? Unfortunately, it doesn't have an offer for Windows Phone.

»www.waze.com/

Oops...went way off topic.

Well, not really. This is a good example. Apple botched the maps. However, there was considerable public outcry and Apple went to work hiring some of the best in the industry to work on the problem.

In reality, what Apple offered is better than what is on WP8 right now but nobody is making a stink about it yet. Perhaps they may since Nokia sold out the Lumia 920 last week?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Michail:

In reality, what Apple offered is better than what is on WP8 right now but nobody is making a stink about it yet.

How is it better? The routing? The map accuracy? The spoken street name?

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Michail:

In reality, what Apple offered is better than what is on WP8 right now but nobody is making a stink about it yet.

How is it better? The routing? The map accuracy? The spoken street name?

There isn't really a native, 3D, Voice, turn by turn navigation app on WP8. You would think MS would have made something native based off of Bing maps. One cool thing with WP8 is you can choose the mapping and GPS apps to execute from system integrated features.

There is AT&T Navigator, which is overpriced at $10/month and rough around the edges. Every spoken street name seems to come out spoken with a different voice.

Nokia Maps isn't bad but it is rather basic. Nokia Drive is in beta and may have some promise if they get a little more phone integration and add traffic.

So just the fact Apple has something is what really makes it better at this point. For an iPhone 4 it's probably dead even since Apple didn't add advanced features there. The little I did get to use on an iPhone 4s wasn't a bad experience.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

So the traffic missing from drive is the issue?

I'd rather use drive - at least the routing and maps are accurate. Traffic is easy enough to check in the map app.

Bing maps use Nokia for traffic anyway : »www.bing.com/community/s ··· ing.aspx
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to StyxKee

to StyxKee
said by StyxKee:

I do not have a smart phone (iOS, droid or MS) but have a wifi droid tabletSince the map on iOS6 is a farce, how about trying out Waze (pronounced as "ways".

Thanks for letting me know the iOS maps are a farce. When I was in NJ in October they worked perfectly to get me where I needed to go. I use them when I go places and for the most part they work very well.

They are not perfect but neither has been the navigation system in my cars or my Tomtom or even my previous Droid X.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by itguy05:

They are not perfect but neither has been the navigation system in my cars or my Tomtom or even my previous Droid X.

Pretty much sums it up for all map apps.

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

I'll keep my hopes up for Nokia Drive+. Microsoft and Nokia seem to be on to something. I hope they succeed. We need more than two strong systems in the smartphone market.

I installed the Inrix app to get a quick snapshot of traffic. Traffic routing is important to me on my daily commute. You never know what I95 will be like.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to Michail

Premium Member

to Michail

on Nov 26th i ATTEMPTED to abandon Apple. I was "upgrading" from the iPhone 4 to a droid razr maxx. Phone arrives VIA fed ex Nov 26th. Right off the bat i screw up the SIM CARD slot trying to get the stupid "door" open to install the sim card. After two hours the phone looks like crap with scratches all over the side from my prying the jammed SIM card "door" open. i finally get the SIM card in but during the prying something got borked and the phone keeps giving SIM card errors. I keep taking it in and out it finally activates but 4 G does NOT work . over the course of Tuesday the phone remains miserable to use and my patience wears thinner and thinner. On Wednesday morning by noon time i am in the process of going back to my old trusty iPhone 4. I could stand android no more. I will not attempt to return to Android anytime soon. However all is not well. I do NOT like the iPhone 5 either and do not know where to move forward phone wise from here.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

May sound silly, but the fact you had issues installing the sim card is the Android os's fault? Doubtful.

As for Apple support, I have always heard they help out of warranty but when I had an issue with a sticky iPhone 4 button 2 months out of warranty they calibrated it, took it out back, said they they could see the issue, realize other people had issues with the home button as well, but wanted $150. I guess I was not the lucky one.

norbert26
Premium Member
Warwick, RI

norbert26

Premium Member

said by ptrowski:

May sound silly, but the fact you had issues installing the sim card is the Android os's fault? Doubtful.

As for Apple support, I have always heard they help out of warranty but when I had an issue with a sticky iPhone 4 button 2 months out of warranty they calibrated it, took it out back, said they they could see the issue, realize other people had issues with the home button as well, but wanted $150. I guess I was not the lucky one.

I was having issues with the OS as well with pop ups this APP stopped working and that APP stopped working. The APPS were bloat ware force installed by the carrier if i kept the phone i would have rooted it if possible however i had other things to worry about beyond getting that phone in order.........like work.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to norbert26

to norbert26
said by norbert26:

I do NOT like the iPhone 5 either and do not know where to move forward phone wise from here.

Not sure what's not to like in the iPhone 5. It really is a great phone.

norbert26
Premium Member
Warwick, RI

norbert26

Premium Member

said by not quite right:

said by norbert26:

I do NOT like the iPhone 5 either and do not know where to move forward phone wise from here.

screen too long/tall . headphone jack moved to the bottom. don't like the lightning connector. Why didn't they just go with the micro USB other phones use ?

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

That's the same issue I had fixed for $30 at a local smartphone repair shop. These places are well stocked in iPhone parts and the parts aren't that expensive either.
Michail

Michail to norbert26

Premium Member

to norbert26
said by norbert26:

said by not quite right:

said by norbert26:

screen too long/tall . headphone jack moved to the bottom. don't like the lightning connector. Why didn't they just go with the micro USB other phones use ?

I actually like the jack to be on the bottom. That way it's not an octopus of cables. My new phone has it on the top though.

Anyway, I'm liking the Lumia 920 and WP8 more and more every day but I still miss being part of the herd.

I still keep my iPhone around to have airplay support and few iOS only apps.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

Majestik to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right

said by not quite right:

said by norbert26:

I've had it for over a week now and I'm really happy with it.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Majestik:

said by not quite right:

said by norbert26:

I've had it for over a week now and I'm really happy with it.

Overall, I'm very happy with it too (upgraded from an iPhone 4). The screen is almost too tall (I like to "cradle" the phone in my hand by resting it on my pinky and with my small hands, it's *almost* impossible to reach the far top corner of the screen) but I for on LIKE the lightning cable -- no more worrying about which way it goes it, it doesn't pop out easily, and has been working like a champ. I don't care much one way or the other about where the headphone jack is.