OWC is a great brand to trust.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

1 edit
The one bad stick I did get from OWC that failed after a couple of years, was replaced under warranty with no problem at all. I always have gotten great service from OWC.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1
reply to Nezmo
Okay, is there any way to force the mini to run 1920x1200 when no monitor is attached? The best I can do over VNC is 1680 x 1050. VNC can scale larger but scaling is not what I want - I want the mini to actually run at 1920 x 1200.

I've Googled this to death.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
Easiest way is to hook up a 1920x1200 monitor on startup, then disconnect it and don't reboot the mini.

Another option may be tricking it to think there's a monitor connected with something like this:
»www.coderebel.com/support/faq/Ho···-options

I don't know of a way to force a particular resolution when there's no monitor connected.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
Thanks. Lots of rebooting right now while I get used to things but I'll take your advice.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to Nezmo
What is the trick to getting Chrome browser to run properly on a Mac? It's DOG slow.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Click and drag to trashcan.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
said by skeechan:

Click and drag to trashcan.

Hilarious.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Did you sync Chrome? If you do it will (at least it does for me) pull down all the plugins used in Chrome on your other machines. Try disabling them off and brining them back one at a time. Perhaps one is borked up.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

1 edit
said by skeechan:

Did you sync Chrome? If you do it will (at least it does for me) pull down all the plugins used in Chrome on your other machines. Try disabling them off and brining them back one at a time. Perhaps one is borked up.

Yes and already tried killing all extensions. It's taking several minutes to load any and all pages including the settings.

I'll try trashing it and starting again.

Update: No cigar. Weird.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
Yeah, there isn't much to be done other than the obvious. For me Chrome is very latency sensitive. It will get stuck in the mud if my latency runs over 50ms, like when I'm on LTE or WiMAX. On my Cox service with 6ms latency it seems to be well behaved. I wonder if it is some anti-phishing service running that causes the slowdowns.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to Nezmo
Well, after getting up to speed on my new toy I am disappointed and frustrated. Not with the mini but with my WD My Book Live(s). I pointed iTunes on the Mac to the NAS, copied the iTunes library/XML files, etc from the PC to the Mac and initially all seemed okay until I dug further.

I have discovered what is actually a well-documented issue. My bad for not researching deep enough beforehand - a case of I didn't know what to search for. While the WD My Book Live NASs are listed as Mac compatible, there is a huge performance problem with AFP. You can of course connect using SMB but that creates an issue with long folder/file names and I lose links. Even when establishing a connection over SMB the mini seems to force an AFP connection anyway.

With AFP, access to the NAS from the mini crawls to a stop. The NAS itself goes in to a non-stop activity mode and eventually shuts down. With the MAC off or with no attempts to connect to the NAS share from the mini the NAS is fine. I can repeat this over and over.

WD has supposedly improved AFP support over time with firmware updates. I am running with the latest FW so it seems with Mountain Lion there is still a problem.

It seems I am buggered with this set-up. I bought the mini specifically to run as an iTunes server. Now in order to do that I have to change my NAS boxes all of which work flawlessly with Windows.

I've read all sorts of things about tweaking AFP on the NAS but it's all Linux stuff and at some point I am going to break something as I'm not experienced enough.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
Oh man that blows. I don't currently, but have put my iTunes library on a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo V2 and it worked great. It also worked well with an LG NAS. If you are going to leave the mini running as a server why not plug the NAS holding the iTunes content into USB and share the volume for any non-iTunes content? It would solve the speed problem, at least for iTunes content. It's not the preferred situation but it is a workaround.

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to Nezmo
Been using a very early 2.0Ghz core 2 duo Mini, and a NAS connected to Netgear wireless router, for about two years now, using Plex just about all my media plays beautifully!!!!!

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to skeechan
said by skeechan:

Oh man that blows. I don't currently, but have put my iTunes library on a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo V2 and it worked great. It also worked well with an LG NAS. If you are going to leave the mini running as a server why not plug the NAS holding the iTunes content into USB and share the volume for any non-iTunes content? It would solve the speed problem, at least for iTunes content. It's not the preferred situation but it is a workaround.

The WD My Book Live only has an Ethernet port.

I used to have my media on an external USB HDD but I moved to NAS as my storage needs grew. It also allowed me to set-up backups to another NAS even when the PC is off (my backups run nightly).

I've used the NAS with iTunes on the PC for over a year and not a single problem.

You can see the issue on the Mac even just navigating the WD NAS in Finder. Connected over SMB is just fine but as soon as the mini decides to hook itself over AFP (no idea how to stop it doing that), the whole show takes a dump. The mini beach balls and the NAS says "no thanks."
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
If you connect manually using Go > Connect to Server and then smb ://ipofnas it should never attempt to use AFP. Is that what you're doing now?

Does the NAS support NFS? It'll likely work better than both smb/afp but might take a few more steps to setup.
--

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

4 edits
said by Thinkdiff:

If you connect manually using Go > Connect to Server and then smb ://ipofnas it should never attempt to use AFP. Is that what you're doing now?

Does the NAS support NFS? It'll likely work better than both smb/afp but might take a few more steps to setup.

Yes, I have been doing the Connect to Server route (and even tried that as a Login Item as well as manually). It connects over SMB great but shortly after I still get an AFP connection to the same share. I may be doing something wrong - I am a very new Mac user. I've played around with the options on what to show in Finder so I don't click something I shouldn't (as the NAS show in the Finder even before connecting to a share).

The problem I have found with SMB is with long folder or filenames. If I have a folder on the NAS created by Windows that is long, it currently resides as a truncated name. When the mini accesses the NAS over SMB it seems to create a dupe of that folder with the full name and it moves the files to it. That would be fine except the iTunes library/XML files still have the shortened name in them and iTunes does not seem to sort that out itself). The end result is a broken link in iTunes on the Mac. If I go back to my iTunes on the PC (keeping until I know all is working on the Mac) it now can't find a lot of media as it's moved to the non-shortened folders. I may be able to stop this particular problem by stopping iTunes from organizing the media when it's setting up. But until I can solve this AFP problem that is mute.

My NAS does support NFS, sort of. From my quick research, for private shares I have to enable it using SSH.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
You may be clicking on the NAS in the Shared list even though it's already mounted. When you click on it in the shared list, OS X will attempt to login over AFP either as a guest or a stored login.

To avoid this, go to Finder > Preferences > General and make sure Connected Servers are set to show on the desktop. Then only access your NAS from the mounted share on the desktop. At any Finder window, you can also press Command+Shift+C to see the "Computer" view. Your mounted share will be listed there.

As for NFS, it may be worth the trouble to set it up if you can avoid all the headaches with AFP.
--

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

4 edits
said by Thinkdiff:

You may be clicking on the NAS in the Shared list even though it's already mounted. When you click on it in the shared list, OS X will attempt to login over AFP either as a guest or a stored login.

To avoid this, go to Finder > Preferences > General and make sure Connected Servers are set to show on the desktop. Then only access your NAS from the mounted share on the desktop. At any Finder window, you can also press Command+Shift+C to see the "Computer" view. Your mounted share will be listed there.

As for NFS, it may be worth the trouble to set it up if you can avoid all the headaches with AFP.

Thanks. I need to run some errands then will give this a try later when I have some time to focus on it. I am also going to play around with some temporary shares to get to the bottom of the folder/filename thing. I'm not convinced I have my story straight there just yet.

Update: The long filename issue is nothing to do with SMB. It's iTunes renaming stuff due to the 'organize' check box being checked. It takes a look at the ID3 tags and thus uses the full song or movie name to build the new file structure. Windows apparently truncates these file names but OS X builds them without truncation. Solution is to leave 'organize' unchecked when initially changing the media location. The file locations stated in the itl/XML files that I copy from the PC to the Mac will then stay matching.

Also, if I'm careful not to click the wrong thing in Finder as you state, the shares are not mounted over AFP by OS X. I just need to experiment a little more before I take the plunge and try another full library move. I'm still nervous as even when I only connect over SMB my NAS seems to go in to non-stop mode but I may be jumping the gun and the activity may be genuine. Just need to play more.

Thanks all for the input.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Just wanted to thank you for the NFS suggestion and tips. Actually both SMB and NFS work fine and NFS seems faster. I am just grappling with this long filename issue but I am sure I will solve it. Basically, anything with a long filename is getting messed up with the move over to the Mac. But the issue I had with my NAS appears to be solved.

Thank you.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
No problem. NFS is a bit more native to *NIX systems and is completely open and mature, so I wouldn't doubt it's faster. SMB has to be somewhat of a hack-job as it's a reverse engineering of the protocol (unless Apple licensed it after they dumped samba, but I don't think so).

It's unfortunate Windows has to truncate the file names. Does it do that on a local NTFS volume? Maybe you can mount the share over NFS on the PC to get around the Windows/SMB limitation.
--

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

1 edit
reply to Nezmo
New question.

The NAS mounted over NFS seems to be performing well. I have gotten most of my iTunes library functioning well on the mini now. I've discovered yet another issue though. It seems that there is a problem with OS X seeing filenames on the NAS that contain special characters and this might be an OS X/NFS problem. For example, if I navigate to folder with the name "Michael Buble" where the final e has an accent (sorry, not sure how to type that on a Mac yet), while the mini may display the file or folder for a second it quickly disappears before I can select it. Sometimes it may not even display.

I do not want to rename all my folders and files on the NAS with special characters in them. Is there some solution to this bearing in mind that at this point it seems I need to stick with mounting over NFS.

Just to be clear, I am not talking about using / or *, etc... just letters that have accents or graves, etc.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
Option-e + e or just hold down "e"

Sounds like a formatting problem between the NAS's linux system, Windows, and OS X. You may get more help from the NAS manufacturer. Did you have the same problem over SMB?
--

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
said by Thinkdiff:

Sounds like a formatting problem between the NAS's linux system, Windows, and OS X. You may get more help from the NAS manufacturer. Did you have the same problem over SMB?

I can see and access the files fine using SMB. I considered using SMB versus NFS as a result but problem... With the NAS mounted using NFS I have been fixing links in iTunes. If I switch to SMB for some reason iTunes no longer sees the volume as the same (it resets the location of media back the iTunes default). This means I would need to 'change' the location of my media to point back to the NAS volume. If I do that then I'm thinking I may lose all my fixed links - not sure for certain as the path is the same... just SMB versus NFS.

Very frustrating.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

SuperJudge
Raiden Wins
Premium
join:2002-11-14
Albany, GA
reply to Nezmo
I just bought a current gen Mini, and I've been very happy. My only real concerns were the dumping of the dedicated GPU, but the Mini seems to play Black Ops pretty well, so I can't complain about that.

I did, however, get the i7 upgrade on the second Mini (not server), which is really a worthy upgrade for $100--for your consideration.

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

said by Thinkdiff:

I can see and access the files fine using SMB. I considered using SMB versus NFS as a result but problem... With the NAS mounted using NFS I have been fixing links in iTunes. If I switch to SMB for some reason iTunes no longer sees the volume as the same (it resets the location of media back the iTunes default). This means I would need to 'change' the location of my media to point back to the NAS volume. If I do that then I'm thinking I may lose all my fixed links - not sure for certain as the path is the same... just SMB versus NFS.

Very frustrating.

personally I loath SMB and NFS transfers going to and from Mac's it's ridiculously horrible and half the time it doesn't work right.

What i did in my own home to send files back and forth from my iMac and HTPC(windows 7) was to install the free Filezilla FTP program on the HTPC, then I purchased Transmit for the iMac. From there I did everything in FTP windows and not only did it work faster but it made manipulating files a whole lot faster and easier. So I don't know if that NAS supports an FTP option but if it does you might want to turn it on and use that.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 edit
Interesting,….

I think my approach would have been to use a an external HDD enclosure connected directly to the Mac Mini. Maybe a JBOD / RAID 5 port or 8 port model. Everything else would connect through the Mac Mini

The way I have things setup now is I just use a Windows Home Server with about 16TB of storage. Everything is easily accessible whether it be OS X or Windows based. There is even a built in iTunes server. I used to be able to backup easily to the server too via Time Machine but upgrading to OS X Lion killed that feature.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
said by Octavean:

Interesting,….

I think my approach would have been to use a an external HDD enclosure connected directly to the Mac Mini. Maybe a JBOD / RAID 5 port or 8 port model. Everything else would connect through the Mac Mini

The way I have things setup now is I just use a Windows Home Server with about 16TB of storage. Everything is easily accessible weither it be OS X or Windows based. There is even a built in iTunes server. I used to be able to backup easily to the server too via Time Machine but upgrading to OS X Lion killed that feature.

I have two external 1TB HDDs and two 3TB NAS. My media totals about 1.6TB right now and it has been running off the NAS great from Windows for some time. Moving to HDDs was not really the best option for me. The HDDs are just for other storage like photos and video files not used in iTunes and neither one is large enough to house my whole iTunes media library.

Whatever way I turn there's some problem right now. AFP sucks with the NAS. SMB seems okay but sluggish the first time it loads a directory. NFS seems fast but it won't recognize certain files ( and I am not renaming files just to suite OS X as the files represent artist and song names). I may have to switch back to SMB and see how to minimize the repair work I have already done in iTunes.

Quite frankly this is pissing me off now. I have spent WAY too much time frigging with this thing and I'm getting a bad taste in my mouth. As I dig more I can see some of the frustrations legacy users have with ML.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
Looked into it a bit and it's pretty much what I expected:

OS X uses UTF8 decomposed formatting which is incompatible with the UTF8 precomposed formatting used on most Linux/Windows shares.

If you have access to a Linux computer, you can apparently convert all the naming from UTF8 precomposed to decomposed in one shot (maintaining all of the accents, etc). No idea how this would affect the Windows side, though.
--