uniqs
hokie83vb
Premium Member
join:2010-12-15

hokie83vb to CoxTech1

Premium Member

to CoxTech1

Re: [VA] Repeatedly losing connection

I have done dozens of reboots of modem, router and computer. On one occasion repeated reboots of the modem didn't do anything, but when I rebooted the router, everything then reset correctly.

On the other hand, the first day this happened, I took the router out of the loop and it didn't help.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

Don't forget with an eMTA modem disconnecting power doesn't reset it either due to the battery backup. There's a little reset button on the back if you haven't been using that.
hokie83vb
Premium Member

hokie83vb

Premium Member

It now day 6 of daily outages.

I remove the battery when I reset the modem, so that not a problem.

Just how do I get any one at Cox to acknowledge that it is unacceptable to lose your phone service everyday?

Even if I can eventually get the service back after repeated reboots, THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

Ready to cancel the telphone service.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Well really there is three possible problem's that are causing your issue. One is there is a problem home side with wiring. Two the modem it's self is having problem's, and need's to be replaced. Three there is a local cox issue in your area that need's a fixing. Personally I think your issue is One or Two. Which I suggest having a tech visit. Call cox tell them your having issue's with the eMTA modem, and think it may need to be replaced. Telling them this, should be in the notes to the tech who is sent out, and should have a replacement eMTA modem on hand. Also make sure the tech checks signal level's, to make sure there isn't a line issue that is the cause of the problem.

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1 to hokie83vb

to hokie83vb
I would agree that a service call is a good next step, especially if you're also losing phone service.
hokie83vb
Premium Member

hokie83vb

Premium Member

Any advice on calling Cox and getting them to agree to send someone out? My experience so far has been I have to go through a 10-20 min session with the automated systems and then maybe get to speak to a human. If at any point in this process the modem makes a connection they consider it fixed.

The one technician I spoke with said that I should wait to see if it happens again and wouldn't schedule a visit.

Since there seems to be a chance that the modem is bad should I just take to a service center and request a replacement?

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

If you continue to have problems with that let me know and I'll see what I can setup from here.