My Life as a Television Throwback
By Taffy Brodesser-Akner, The NY Times - November 23, 2012
»www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/arts/···edy.html

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

But as I just posted in another thread (»Re: Say goodbye to ClearQAM ), a new caveat on "going OTA":

Rovi Phasing Out Over-the-Air Guide Listings
Vendor Cites End of Data Broadcast Agreements; Service to Fully Cease by April 2013

By Todd Spangler, Multichannel News - November 27 2012
»www.multichannel.com/technology/···s/140422

From the article:

Rovi has started shutting off the TV listings data it has provided in over-the-air broadcasts to dozens of consumer-electronics device models in North America -- and will completely end the service by April 2013 -- a move that has infuriated consumers who claim it will render their DVRs useless.

The company said its agreements with data broadcasting partners CBS and National Datacast Inc. (NDI), a for-profit subsidiary of PBS, are coming to an end.
:
All Rovi guides in analog TVs, digital TVs and consumer-electronics DVRs that receive over-the-air broadcast data via an antenna or a cable TV connection in the U.S. and Canada, including the Rovi Guide Plus+ and TV Guide on Screen products, will be affected by the change.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to telcodad

An article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal on some reasons to cut the cord:

Ten Things Cable-TV Companies Won't Say
By Jonnelle Marte, The Wall Street Journal - December 2, 2012
MarketWatch's Jonnelle Marte looks at the things cable companies won't tell you, such as why rising prices are part of their heritage and good service exists but not in your area.
»online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142···news_wsj

logger

join:2012-06-14
Carmel, NY

said by telcodad:

An article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal on some reasons to cut the cord:

Ten Things Cable-TV Companies Won't Say
By Jonnelle Marte, The Wall Street Journal - December 2, 2012
MarketWatch's Jonnelle Marte looks at the things cable companies won't tell you, such as why rising prices are part of their heritage and good service exists but not in your area.
»online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142···news_wsj

Thanks for the link. My experience is consistent with many of the reasons.

1. "Customers are fed up with us." I became fed up enough with the lack of effective customer service from the current owner of the local cable TV system that I stopped being a cable TV customer.

2. "Good service exists...just not in your area." I was a customer of the same local cable TV system under previous owners for about 20 years. The previous owners, unlike the current owner, actually provided what they said they would provide.

3. "We aren't a monopoly, but we may be your only option." That is a distinction without a difference. If there were another cable TV operator where I live, I would be a cable TV customer.

8. "Use the word 'cancel,' and you've got our attention." That was not true for me. When I canceled, they handled the request very effectively. If they had been effective at fixing problems I reported, I would have continued to have been a customer.