uniqs
share rss forum feed

BB4ME
One Marble Short
Premium
join:2003-05-06
Mustang, OK

[OK] Service Request Edmond (Deercreek) OK

What is the best way going about to try to get service run to my parents house in rural Edmond/OKC? They live out in the Deercreek area in North OKC. Cox has run cable all the way out to the houses across the street but have not opted to run it into my parents addition. I know to run cable cost lots of money from COXs end but it sucks that they are less than 1/4 a mile from service.

Any thoughts on this matter?

BB4ME
One Marble Short
Premium
Mustang, OK
Mapping has it right at about 1300ft.

BB4ME
One Marble Short
Premium
Mustang, OK
Another thought too was looking at a business line as well. Currently my parents run a business out of their home and was wondering if its possible to go through that route?

Anonguy

@cox.net
Only a plant extension would get you service. Regardless if it is Res or Business.

Only way a Business acct would help is Cox may reduce some of the plant extension cost if a long contract is signed.

All normal methods max out at 500 feet.

Tweak
Premium
join:2002-06-08
Oklahoma City, OK

1 edit
reply to BB4ME
I would call local customer service they could probably send a request to the construction department.

BB4ME
One Marble Short
Premium
Mustang, OK

1 edit
reply to BB4ME
Thanks everyone. Im going to see if we can get a tech to come out and look. (From the Business side of course)

Anonguy if you dont mind me asking what is a plant extension entail?

Reason I ask is because my parents dont mind paying the expenses to a certain extent, and before they ask they would like to make sure they are educated enough to understand what they might be paying for.

Anonguy

@cox.net
A Plant extension is extending the main Hardline Coax to a closer location. Hardline is a much larger Coax that has a lot less loss than House coax. It is also not very flexible.

Depending on the circumstances amplifiers may be needed also.
A Plant extension could cost several thousand dollars.

Here are some pics of hardline (Plant) cable.

»image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00le ··· able.jpg

Anonguy

@cox.net
reply to BB4ME
2 Threads about Plant extensions:

»[Signals] 750 feet from a cable drop, will Comcast do this?

»[AR] $10,000 Install: Usual, or Suspicious?

BB4ME
One Marble Short
Premium
Mustang, OK
Thanks again for the information. I just spoke with the Business side of the house and they are going to do a rollout stated they should have a cost estimate in 24/48 hours.

BB4ME
One Marble Short
Premium
Mustang, OK
Just to let everyone know we ended up getting the estimate and it ended up being right around the 18K ballpark (not very unexpected). Right now I am working with the business side to see if we can get more people signed up business/residential along the street hoping to reduce the cost.

At that point we will probably sign a long term contract to help cover the overall cost.

My main concern in the whole deal is just making sure that we at least knew where we stood.