Glen T
join:2003-11-03
BC

Glen T to 67845017

to 67845017

Re: [WIN8] Some Observations about Windows 8

said by 67845017:

said by Mele20:

Don't tell me that anyone who values their privacy will "love" getting applications from the Microsoft store! I won't ever get any from there. I set up a LOCAL user account (over Microsoft's protests) when I first turned on the new Win 8 Pro machine. I have NO intention of ever setting up a Microsoft account.

I have enough problems with disabling secure boot. I don't need anymore booby traps from Microsoft.

Isn't that a little over-dramatic? MS doesn't protest to using a local account. They simply give you a couple of options and let you choose which one you want.

Except that if you choose to have only a local account, you can't access the MS App Store and most of the included MS apps don't work, making the whole Start window concept superfluous.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

1 edit

67845017 (banned)

I understand, but that wasn't my point.

Edit: You can access the App Store to browse. You just can't download.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to Glen T

Anon

to Glen T
said by Glen T:

said by 67845017:

said by Mele20:

Don't tell me that anyone who values their privacy will "love" getting applications from the Microsoft store! I won't ever get any from there. I set up a LOCAL user account (over Microsoft's protests) when I first turned on the new Win 8 Pro machine. I have NO intention of ever setting up a Microsoft account.

I have enough problems with disabling secure boot. I don't need anymore booby traps from Microsoft.

Isn't that a little over-dramatic? MS doesn't protest to using a local account. They simply give you a couple of options and let you choose which one you want.

Except that if you choose to have only a local account, you can't access the MS App Store and most of the included MS apps don't work, making the whole Start window concept superfluous.

You can just add a Microsoft account to store only. While being on local account. It's that simple.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Yeah, it's really a non-issue. Unless it's made into one.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to Glen T

Premium Member

to Glen T
said by Glen T:

Really? My test system that I setup, with the instructions that I posted above, had no problem clicking on the "Store" Application, and browsing all of the apps currently available.

Not to mention, I was running the Weather, News, and Bing Apps without any problems. I was able to go into them, view different items, and so on. I changed the Weather app to show the weather for at least 3 different locations.

All that done from a LOCAL account on the system.

--Brian
Glen T
join:2003-11-03
BC

Glen T

Cool. Someday, when I get a couple of hours, I'll read through your setup instructions and give it a try. In the meantime, out the box, with a typical user setup, it doesn't work.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8

Anon

said by Glen T:

Cool. Someday, when I get a couple of hours, I'll read through your setup instructions and give it a try. In the meantime, out the box, with a typical user setup, it doesn't work.

It does work.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to Glen T

Premium Member

to Glen T
said by Glen T:

As I said, my setup instructions are quite long, and still a work in progress for me. But by all means, feel free to use whatever part of them you want for your own build process. That's why I'm sharing them!

One thing I am trying to figure out if I need is in regards to the IE setting modifications. I primary use Waterfox for my web browser. Since I rarely use IE, why go through the steps to modify an application that I would never use. So, I may take that part out.

--Brian
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to Glen T

to Glen T
said by Glen T:

Cool. Someday, when I get a couple of hours, I'll read through your setup instructions and give it a try. In the meantime, out the box, with a typical user setup, it doesn't work for me.

FIFY