alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma

1 edit
reply to CGMason14

Re: Verizon is using Sandy as an excuse to force people to FiOS

Verizon is not going to force anyone, but if they want their Service Restored quickly FiOS is available. Both Copper and Fiber have their Pros and Cons, but Copper has to be replaced and Fiber is available. I keep saying Copper is an aging Infrastructure, connected to Old Equipment that has to be replaced by New Equipment that uses Fiber. Verizon is a Company and yes they want to make a Profit, but not at the Customers expense. Companies like Verizon have to use their Resources wisely, and Fiber and FiOS is the Future.

CGMason14
Nj Roaddog

join:2002-07-22
Mountainside, NJ

said by alchav:

Companies like Verizon have to use their Resources wisely, and Fiber and FiOS is the Future.

Not if you live in an area that hasn't had FiOS built out. A friend of mine in Piscataway, NJ is still waiting for it even though the CO that serves his house is live and three blocks over has fiber.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by CGMason14:

said by alchav:

Companies like Verizon have to use their Resources wisely, and Fiber and FiOS is the Future.

Not if you live in an area that hasn't had FiOS built out. A friend of mine in Piscataway, NJ is still waiting for it even though the CO that serves his house is live and three blocks over has fiber.

My CO has Fios. The people across the street have Fios. But Verizon has decided I am unworthy, and will never, ever be able to get Fios. Verizon would prefer I give my money to Cablevision.

»[Rant] FiOS sign-up event - But not for you!

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

We should direct the AT&T U-Verse people to this thread for them to preach how much of a blessing it is to have fiber to the house over LTE and DSL.

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

said by CGMason14:

said by alchav:

My CO has Fios. The people across the street have Fios. But Verizon has decided I am unworthy, and will never, ever be able to get Fios. Verizon would prefer I give my money to Cablevision.

There must be a good reason you don't have FiOS, you have to ask a Verizon Field Tech or Supervisor. Then find out how many houses and people in your neighborhood don't have FiOS but want it. If you have a few homes that want FiOS, but don't have it you can go to Verizon in Force and I'm sure they will listen. You have to talk to the right people at Verizon and organize yourselves properly to do this. Verizon is a Company and they want your Business, but what happens is they lay Fiber and no one buys it, so deployment is stopped until they get information that someone wants FiOS.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by alchav:

Verizon is a Company and they want your Business,

Obviously not. We (as a neighborhood of 100 units) have contacted Verizon officials (I believe at the Vice President level) and they've said they will not install Fios at our location, even though the neighborhood across the street has it.

So, Cablevision continues to rake-in the big bucks.

Secyurityet
Premium
join:2012-01-07
untied state
reply to McBane

said by McBane:

We should direct the AT&T U-Verse people to this thread for them to preach how much of a blessing it is to have fiber to the house over LTE and DSL.

Someone has. I used to have FiOS in the Tampa Bay area. Now I'm stuck on AT&T's converged service, over copper, in SW Ohio.

I wish Verizon could swoop in and force me to subscribe to FiOS again!

trudy

join:2013-02-15

1 recommendation

reply to alchav

Verizon is doing its best to force the people in my area, to the point of harassment.

It's sent out installers to convert people to fiber with no advance notice. It's tried twice to force me to do this since the Feb 2013 blizzard, even though the only reason the copper service went down in this area is because Verizon had removed the backup generators for copper from the central office. It is backup now, of course.

It's lied to me about why ("you have made many reports of problems with your phone" - that's one report six years ago.) It's lied to me about what the installer was going to do("oh, it's not fiber.") It's ignored my phone calls to customer service saying I do not want to change.

If fiber gets to having the power failure protection copper used to have before Verizon deliberately took that away, then I'll change voluntarily. If they yank the copper without that, I and everyone else I know in my small community is going to cable phone service.

Both the Verizon people I talked to about the fiber installation said they had to tell their supervisors what my reasons were for not taking fiber, and it was pretty clear they would get in trouble for not accomplishing this.

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House

1 recommendation

said by trudy:

If fiber gets to having the power failure protection copper used to have before Verizon deliberately took that away, then I'll change voluntarily. If they yank the copper without that, I and everyone else I know in my small community is going to cable phone service.

Out of curiosity, why would you switch to cable phone service? Is it just a matter of principle, or do you think the cable phone service will stay up indefinitely in a power outage like copper POTS does?

If it's because of power, you'll be in for an ugly surprise because neither fiber nor coax delivered phone lines are powered by the provider. In a blackout, both will only live for 6-10 hours (give or take) before your CPE equipment runs out of power and the line goes dead-- unless you've provisioned extra on-site power like a generator or extra batteries.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3

2 recommendations

Many people on cable found out the hard way that they will loose phone, even when the lines did not go down. The local node requires power. When those batteries die you are out of service. So for those that do have a generator, you are still better being on FiOS . It is a passive network.
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 recommendations

reply to trudy

said by trudy:

It's tried twice to force me to do this since the Feb 2013 blizzard, even though the only reason the copper service went down in this area is because Verizon had removed the backup generators for copper from the central office. It is backup now, of course.

What evidence do you have that Verizon removed the backup generators from the central office? All Verizon central offices have backup generators for ALL services fed out of the office, including copper and FiOS...Now if the CO lost backup power due to severe flooding or any other natural disaster, that's a different story. Verizon lost backup power at some CO's in the NYC area after Superstorm Sandy, but the backup generators were never REMOVED from the CO's....

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

1 recommendation

I believe there is Federal if not State level requirements for CO's and other essential services sites to have backup electrical services. That includes phone, water, NG and other services so that the public is not impacted but natural, terrorist or plain stupid human event.