Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

evilpeppard
Always Fight For Freedom
Premium
join:2003-08-20
Aurora, CO

[Business] SMC DOCSIS 3.0 modem login change?

I have Comcast Business Class both at home, and at work. I have the SMC DOCSIS 3 modem, Model: SMCD3G, in both places as well.

This last weekend (11/24/2012) my Internet suddenly went out at home after being up without interruption for almost a year. I found I could no longer ping 10.1.10.1 (SMC modem internal IP), even though the modem appeared to be linked up just fine, so I pulled the power and let the modem sit for a minute, then plugged the power back in. Within a short time I was able to ping 10.1.10.1 again. However, when I tried to log into the modem's web interface, it says my username/password is bad.

I was using the standard 'cusadmin' and 'highspeed', and have logged into my modem at home before several times, but I now no longer can.

I decided to check the notes I had on my modem at work. I have used the same credentials in the past to log into my work modem, but found out today (11/28/2012) I can no longer log into that modem using those credentials either!

I did a search, but didn't come up with anything obvious. Has the default username and password changed for the SMC DOCSIS 3 modem? I did read I could do a factory reset to see if the credentials start working again, but with two of my modems exhibiting the same behavior, I am inclined to think the actual username and password has changed via an update on these devices.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated so I can update my notes and log back into my modems. Thank you.
--
"My actions are not revenge...they are punishment..."

evilpeppard
Always Fight For Freedom
Premium
Aurora, CO
I did find a little info here, but still nothing definitive.

»[Business] Comcast reset or changed cusadmin password on SMC D3G

I guess if I truly want it reset I can call Customer Service and work with them. As of now my modem is working just fine with my router, so there is really no need for me get in there right now, just a little frustrating I could always get in before.
--

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to evilpeppard
Back in May/June of this year, Comcast did push a failed firmware update to many SMCD3G-CCR. After problems started showing up with that update, Comcast did a push install back to the previous version, and many users (including me) found themselves in the situation that you have described.

My guess is that possibly you also had this happen, but this is the first time that your SMC boxes got rebooted, and that symptom is just now being seen, or Comcast is once again trying to update the SMC boxes to be able to handle IPv6. Either way, it is probably going to take a call to support (and/or a factory default reset) to get local admin access back again.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

evilpeppard
Always Fight For Freedom
Premium
Aurora, CO
said by NetFixer:

Back in May/June of this year, Comcast did push a failed firmware update to many SMCD3G-CCR. After problems started showing up with that update, Comcast did a push install back to the previous version, and many users (including me) found themselves in the situation that you have described.

My guess is that possibly you also had this happen, but this is the first time that your SMC boxes got rebooted, and that symptom is just now being see, or Comcast is once again trying to update the SMC boxes to be able to handle IPv6. Either way, it is probably going to take a call to support (and/or a factory default reset) to get local admin access back again.

Thanks for the history, and the suggestion. At this time I am not encountering any issues with my Internet, so I do not have a real need to log into the SMC. When I do, I will give Customer Support a shout.

Thanks again.
--

Cablejim1087

join:2012-09-21
Bath, ME
reply to evilpeppard
The docsis 3 SMC modems login changes daily. You would need to call in for the new password. The docsis 2 the password is still the same. Doesnt change unless user changes it.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Cablejim1087:

The docsis 3 SMC modems login changes daily. You would need to call in for the new password. The docsis 2 the password is still the same. Doesnt change unless user changes it.

That only applies to the mso password, not to the cusadmin password. It is very unlikely that you are going to find a business class CSR who is willing to jeopardize his/her job to supply a customer with the mso password.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

evilpeppard
Always Fight For Freedom
Premium
Aurora, CO
reply to evilpeppard
quote:
said by evilpeppard See Profile
Thanks for the history, and the suggestion. At this time I am not encountering any issues with my Internet, so I do not have a real need to log into the SMC. When I do, I will give Customer Support a shout.

Thanks again.

Wanted to provide an update.

Comcast was out this morning because I was having some major latency and disconnect issues over the last 10 days. The tech checked my line and the SNR was fine, so he called in and it ends up there was some routing issue with my static IP. They corrected that issue, and while the tech was on the phone, I had him tell support about my modem login issue. Support reset something on my modem and I now can login again to the web interface using the standard login. It seemed to be an easy fix for tech support.
--