Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone

Re: Intel to Kill Off Replaceable CPUs

said by Ghastlyone:

Do people really replace their CPU's that often without replacing their motherboards?

If I'm upgrading to a newer CPU, more then likely I'm buying a newer, better motherboard also.

I can see enthusiasts that "side grade" their CPU's often, getting angry over this. But I raelly don't see the huge issue.

Yes, and sometimes more than once per board.
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf

said by EUS:

said by Ghastlyone:

Do people really replace their CPU's that often without replacing their motherboards?

If I'm upgrading to a newer CPU, more then likely I'm buying a newer, better motherboard also.

I can see enthusiasts that "side grade" their CPU's often, getting angry over this. But I raelly don't see the huge issue.

Yes, and sometimes more than once per board.

I just upgraded an old 775 E5200 to an E8500. Runs much better and for the $40 makes a good "mid life" upgrade for cheap.

To move to a Core i3 based solution I'd need a CPU, MB, RAM, looking at $300. I've done the eBay mid life upgrade to my last 2 computers.

If Intel goes through with this, my longstanding Intel only loyalty will change and I will look at AMD. I don't buy high powered PC's (for my HTPC) so AMD would meet my needs just fine.