uniqs
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to RickNY

to RickNY

Re: [Optimum Voice] Optimum Voice Caller ID and Verizon Wireless

My understanding is that Verizon Wireless by default puts the state name into the data released to the Caller ID database companies.

Maybe I'm wrong and Verizon Wireless doesn't release any data at all by default.

In any event, it appears that OV isn't even performing the lookup, or the database they use doesn't have any Verizon Wireless information at all.

But I'm glad my name doesn't show up when I make calls on my cell phone.

On a related note, we had someone working for us who got convicted of a Federal crime. They way he got caught is that he used an AT&T (I think) cell phone, and the person he called got suspicious when the name on the Caller ID didn't match the alias he gave them. Oops! He lucked out and only got 6 months of home confinement. But he might have gotten away with it if he used Verizon Wireless.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

Verizon Wireless, by default, puts nothing in the caller ID databases.
Caller ID databases either put "Verizon Wireless" in by default if a number is assigned to VZW, or in some cases, the city/state based on the area code and exchange.

As a Verizon Wireless subscriber, you can elect to populate the name field. That information is picked up by some databases, but not others. Obviously Cablevision subscribes to a database that does not provide this information.

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

RickNY

Premium Member

said by limegrass69:

Verizon Wireless, by default, puts nothing in the caller ID databases.

According to VZW, they actually default to "WIRELESS CALLER" in whatever database they are publishing to.

I prefer my name to show up, as I use my house phone and cell phone for business purposes, and many people are reluctant to answer a call where no name shows up. I will often use my cell phone to call the people I do work for when I am on the way to their home or place of business. I don't actively give my cell number out to the people I do work for, but I don't hide it from them either.

3. Do I have to select a name for my Share Name ID?

No, by default “Wireless Caller” is displayed instead of your name when you call a device enabled with Caller ID. If you do not make any changes, “Wireless Caller” will continue to be used.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

I see "Verizon Wireles" (no second "s" on wireless) on most calls from them.

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

RickNY

Premium Member

said by limegrass69:

I see "Verizon Wireles" (no second "s" on wireless) on most calls from them.

That is what I see on OV. On a Verizon POTS line I see "Wireless Caller" or the Share Name if set (including my own). On my CallCentric SIP line, I see "NY Wireless Call", OR the Verizon Share Name ID if the caller set it (including my own name)

My parents down in Tampa see my share name ID on Brighthouse. Not sure what they see from someone that hasn't set it.

My cell phone number has been on Sprint, then AT&T, and then Verizon. While on Sprint & AT&T, my OV line displayed the name. As soon as I ported from AT&T to Verizon, it started saying "Verizon Wireles", even though I set the share name.