uniqs
share rss forum feed

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

Card Services still in business

Well i got a call from Card Services today. I still do not get it why FTC or FBI still has not busted all of the Card Services

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN

They haven't been shut down because it isn't just one company/group/scammer making the calls. It is an official enough sounding name that a lot of robocalls use it, and one particular version of it is being sold as a plug and go scamming solution.

It is also important to note that there is a real company called Card Services that handles debit cards for credit unions.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to Oleg

Because it is a multi-headed snake and the heads grow back as fast as they get chopped off.

I was called today and the caller id showed "Card Services" with a number of (914) 594-9011 (likely spoofed).
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

GroovyPhoenx

join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON
reply to Oleg

I just started hitting 1, and using a whistle, pisses my wife off more then the card people.

But she came back to me saying "But honey these people are innocent, they're just working for a living"

Yeah? I responded, "Working for crooks who scam grandmothers for a living." I think it's worth a blast in the ear.

Though I will say, the whistle is close by and frankly ANY unsolicited calls could wind up being hit with it.

Frankly I am fed up with people who feel they have a "right" to call you to try and solicit you. Be it even the phone company or other companies. I CLEARLY inform them by using their system "DO NOT CALL" DO NOT SOLICIT... So I get hostile, it is a good stress relief mind you! LOL.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

I just use a VOIP provider that lets me filter incoming calls. Once I get a spam call then future calls from that number get a "disconnected" SIT.

madylarian
The curmudgeonly
Premium
join:2002-01-03
Parkville, MD

said by garys_2k:

I just use a VOIP provider that lets me filter incoming calls. Once I get a spam call then future calls from that number get a "disconnected" SIT.

That only works if they call from the same number more than once. They don't.

mady
--
Honi soit qui mal y pense

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN

I find it is best to have a dedicated "junk" number that goes straight to voicemail. I give that to credit card companies, banks, grocery store member cards, etc. Pretty much anyone other than friends and clients. Legitimate calls to that number can leave me a voicemail, but spammers don't make my phone ring.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to madylarian

Click for full size
said by madylarian:

said by garys_2k:

That only works if they call from the same number more than once. They don't.

mady

I'd thought so, too, but I've seen a lot of calls I'd designated as "spam" on the incoming call logs, even after receiving the SIT. New ones come in, of course, but the oldies do try for a bit and then drop off. Here's an example of persistence -- this same spammer called again and again, likely an auto-dialer setting, trying to confirm that the number was really "dead." That number had called numerous times before, too (it had to in order to get my "spam" designation).

So number filtering isn't perfect, but it sure does help -- a LOT.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
reply to GroovyPhoenx

You need a Captain Crunch whistle next time.

That number has apparently been a prolific caller lately. It's supposed to be in Elmsford, NY.

Probably spoofed.