spc
uniqs

StyxKee
join:2001-07-05
GTA, Canada

StyxKee to Michail

to Michail

Re: [iPhone] I miss being a sheep in the herd

I do not have a smart phone (iOS, droid or MS) but have a wifi droid tablet. Since the map on iOS6 is a farce, how about trying out Waze (pronounced as "ways". The application uses wifi or data from your smart phone data plan) for real time traffic? Unfortunately, it doesn't have an offer for Windows Phone.

»www.waze.com/

Oops...went way off topic.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

said by StyxKee:

I do not have a smart phone (iOS, droid or MS) but have a wifi droid tablet. Since the map on iOS6 is a farce, how about trying out Waze (pronounced as "ways". The application uses wifi or data from your smart phone data plan) for real time traffic? Unfortunately, it doesn't have an offer for Windows Phone.

»www.waze.com/

Oops...went way off topic.

Well, not really. This is a good example. Apple botched the maps. However, there was considerable public outcry and Apple went to work hiring some of the best in the industry to work on the problem.

In reality, what Apple offered is better than what is on WP8 right now but nobody is making a stink about it yet. Perhaps they may since Nokia sold out the Lumia 920 last week?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Michail:

In reality, what Apple offered is better than what is on WP8 right now but nobody is making a stink about it yet.

How is it better? The routing? The map accuracy? The spoken street name?

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Michail:

In reality, what Apple offered is better than what is on WP8 right now but nobody is making a stink about it yet.

How is it better? The routing? The map accuracy? The spoken street name?

There isn't really a native, 3D, Voice, turn by turn navigation app on WP8. You would think MS would have made something native based off of Bing maps. One cool thing with WP8 is you can choose the mapping and GPS apps to execute from system integrated features.

There is AT&T Navigator, which is overpriced at $10/month and rough around the edges. Every spoken street name seems to come out spoken with a different voice.

Nokia Maps isn't bad but it is rather basic. Nokia Drive is in beta and may have some promise if they get a little more phone integration and add traffic.

So just the fact Apple has something is what really makes it better at this point. For an iPhone 4 it's probably dead even since Apple didn't add advanced features there. The little I did get to use on an iPhone 4s wasn't a bad experience.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

So the traffic missing from drive is the issue?

I'd rather use drive - at least the routing and maps are accurate. Traffic is easy enough to check in the map app.

Bing maps use Nokia for traffic anyway : »www.bing.com/community/s ··· ing.aspx
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to StyxKee

to StyxKee
said by StyxKee:

I do not have a smart phone (iOS, droid or MS) but have a wifi droid tabletSince the map on iOS6 is a farce, how about trying out Waze (pronounced as "ways".

Thanks for letting me know the iOS maps are a farce. When I was in NJ in October they worked perfectly to get me where I needed to go. I use them when I go places and for the most part they work very well.

They are not perfect but neither has been the navigation system in my cars or my Tomtom or even my previous Droid X.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by itguy05:

They are not perfect but neither has been the navigation system in my cars or my Tomtom or even my previous Droid X.

Pretty much sums it up for all map apps.

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

I'll keep my hopes up for Nokia Drive+. Microsoft and Nokia seem to be on to something. I hope they succeed. We need more than two strong systems in the smartphone market.

I installed the Inrix app to get a quick snapshot of traffic. Traffic routing is important to me on my daily commute. You never know what I95 will be like.