join:2012-08-17
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

4 edits
reply to Darknessfall

Re: [Connectivity] Hmm..

So what was I connected to then lol? Windows reported it was "Network 2." Wasn't fully the Netgear Genie :P. It had the address of "71.------"

"Category: Firewall - Network and Connections
Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Category
11/28/2012 5:00:42 PM,Info,"Protecting your connection to a newly detected network on adapter \"Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection\" (IP address: 71.--).",Detected,No Action Required,Firewall - Network and Connections
Protecting your connection to a newly detected network on adapter "Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection" (IP address: 71.). "

Then it shows:

11/28/2012 5:00:48 PM,Info,Connected to a protected network. (71.---),Protected,No Action Required,71.---
Your computer is currently protected from the local network. To allow all the computers on this network to communicate with your computer, in the Actions panel, click Trust. To block all the computers on this network from communicating with your computer, in the Actions panel, click Restrict. This will not interfere with your other online communications.

Then:

Category: Firewall - Network and Connections
Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Gateway Physical Address
11/28/2012 5:01:17 PM,Info,Connected to a shared network. (------),Shared,No Action Required,-----
File sharing is currently enabled on the local network. To block all the computers on this network from communicating with your computer, in the Actions panel, click Restrict. This will not interfere with your other online communications.

^--- Mac address not relating to my modem.

11/28/2012 4:45:54 PM,Info,Connected to a protected network. (-),Protected,No Action Required,------
Your computer is currently protected from the local network. To allow all the computers on this network to communicate with your computer, in the Actions panel, click Trust. To block all the computers on this network from communicating with your computer, in the Actions panel, click Restrict. This will not interfere with your other online communications.

^ Another random MAC address not relating to me.

Thennnn:
11/28/2012 4:45:51 PM,Info,"IP address has disappeared from adapter Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection and is no longer being protected (IP address: 169.).",Detected,No Action Required,Firewall - Network and Connections
IP address has disappeared from adapter Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection and is no longer being protected (IP address: 169.).

Thennnnnnnnnnnn:

11/28/2012 4:45:34 PM,Info,"IP address has disappeared from adapter Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection and is no longer being protected (IP address: 192.).",Detected,No Action Required,Firewall - Network and Connections
IP address has disappeared from adapter Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection and is no longer being protected (IP address: 192.).

and much much more that I'm too lazy to list lol.

Just to be clear my IP address are none of these, my modem's settings page is 10.0.01, and my mac addresses weren't any of the ones coming up either.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

Based on the information in your IM (that your SMC gateway had accidentally been put into bridge mode), it would appear that the Netgear Genie was initially trying to map everything that it could see on Comcast's network into your network.

Just for grins, I downloaded and installed the Netgear Genie application and loaded it onto my Windows server (because it has both a bridged connection to Comcast and a separate LAN connection, I thought it might provide an interesting display). However, all it could see on my WAN connection was this:

And on my LAN connection, I only saw this:

And this was after I gave the application a firewall and a ThreatFire exemption.

My actual network looks like this:

Once again, never trust any vendor's Wizard or Genie.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Darknessfall
Premium

Is that 655 D-link new? I never saw it before on your diagram . Going to get a WD N750 and try it out around Christmas.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by Darknessfall:

Is that 655 D-link new? I never saw it before on your diagram . Going to get a WD N750 and try it out around Christmas.

Yes, I installed it about a week ago. My previous NAT router (the Netgear WNR1000v2, which has now been demoted into a guest only router) had an IPv6 problem wherein it would randomly change the LAN IPv6 prefix even though the IPv4 IP address was not changing. The D-Link DIR655 seems to not be doing that (although since it has only been in service for a week it is too soon to be sure). It also has the ability to update multiple DynDNS hostnames with IPv6 addresses, and its USB sharing feature has enabled my ancient Visioneer scanner to be used as a network accessible scanner. So far my only complaints with the DIR655 are its lack of NAT loopback, and its feeble QoS implementation (which is not compatible with the QoS in my Netgear switch). Since I don't use it for my servers, the NAT loopback problem is not a deal killer, and I have simply disabled the DIR655's QoS engine.
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Darknessfall
Premium

I thought I noticed the Netgear move but wasn't sure . I wonder what your electricity bill is with all that stuff running lol.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by Darknessfall:

I thought I noticed the Netgear move but wasn't sure . I wonder what your electricity bill is with all that stuff running lol.

According to the UPS logs, I use about 400 watts for the IT equipment that is usually operating in my office. It varies depending on what devices are active and what devices are in standby mode at any given time.

During the cold weather months the heat that is generated somewhat compensates for the power that is consumed (my office is definitely the warmest room in the apartment). I do pay a price for cooling the office during the summer though.
--