Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

1 edit
reply to bmor

Re: WOO! Update your iPad FIOS APP...live streaming TV

Using OpenVPN in bridge mode here. I assume it'll work over my PPTP or IPSec VPN, too.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

bmor

@rr.com

does the ipad support an openvpn? Also what are you using as your OpenVPN endpoint (how the performance?)

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

Jailbroken, yes, but that's not how I'm using it.

I run a wireless AP in the remote location that is bridged with the OpenVPN connection - when I'm on that wireless AP, I get an IP address from the DHCP server in New York and all my traffic goes through the FiOS connection. The OpenVPN endpoints are a virtualized Linux server in NY and virtualized pfSense router in CA. I can max out the line in CA (2MB/sec down, 120KB/sec up)

I also have a PPTP server running on a dd-wrt router in NY, but the throughput is much lower (around 600KB/sec max). I just tried this over WiFi at work (it works fine) and AT&T "4G" (not LTE) - doesn't work over Cellular. I'm guessing the app checks if you're on a WiFi network before allowing the video to play.
--

bmor

@rr.com

Nice! I'm checking out the pfsense interface now. I'd like to replicate your setup with 2 pfsense routers on each end

I'm in the VPN interface but what mode do you set the server to? Peer to Peer or Remote Access (different options for each)

Also what mode would I set the openvpn client too? (Peer to Peer ssl/tls or shared key)

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

said by bmor :

Nice! I'm checking out the pfsense interface now. I'd like to replicate your setup with 2 pfsense routers on each end

I'm in the VPN interface but what mode do you set the server to? Peer to Peer or Remote Access (different options for each)

Also what mode would I set the openvpn client too? (Peer to Peer ssl/tls or shared key)

Honestly, OpenVPN is overkill for this application. If you really want to set it up, there are tutorials on the pfsense forums and other places. My setup is Peer to Peer SSL/TLS.

Setup a simple PPTP server and use that on the iOS device to get around the restrictions.
--