All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

teletone
join:2010-06-07
Toronto, On

teletone to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0

Re: [Rant] Staples.ca - that wasn't easy for me!

said by dirtyjeffer0:

return the product and just wash your hands with regular soap when needed...save yourself the $100.

not that easy. it's hard to keep my hands clean after washing my hands because i have to push a wheelchair. so i have sanitizer dispensers where i need them. i also carry sanitizer with me in a bottle for use in public restrooms.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

constantly barraging your body with "germs" helps build up your immune system to prevent you from getting sick...while i understand your desire to "stay clean", being too clean is equally as harmful as being filthy pig.

teletone
Toronto, On

teletone

said by dirtyjeffer0:

constantly barraging your body with "germs" helps build up your immune system to prevent you from getting sick...while i understand your desire to "stay clean", being too clean is equally as harmful as being filthy pig.

i understand but before i started these sanitizing procedures, i suffered from chronic bladder infections. i haven't had a bladder infection since i have been sanitizing my hands before catheterization.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
i recall reading something on some health site, saying hand sanitizers can actually worse than no sanitizer at all.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to teletone

Premium Member

to teletone
said by teletone:

not that easy. it's hard to keep my hands clean after washing my hands because i have to push a wheelchair.

Wear gloves?

But yes, you should not have to accept an inferior product.

teletone
Toronto, On

2 edits

teletone

said by shaner:

said by teletone:

not that easy. it's hard to keep my hands clean after washing my hands because i have to push a wheelchair.

Wear gloves?

can't do. if you're suggesting i wear a pair of disposable gloves to perform catheterization, that's 3650 gloves wasted in a year (36.5 boxes).

if you're suggesting i wear the same pair of gloves and take them off to perform catheterization, that doesn't keep my hands clean. the insides of gloves don't stay sterile forever.
Expand your moderator at work

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

Kalford to teletone

MVM

to teletone

Re: [Rant] Staples.ca - that wasn't easy for me!

said by teletone:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

i understand but before i started these sanitizing procedures, i suffered from chronic bladder infections. i haven't had a bladder infection since i have been sanitizing my hands before catheterization.

Did you try washing your hands immediately before. . . errrr . scratching?
Grappler
join:2002-09-01
Ottawa, ON

Grappler to teletone

to teletone
said by teletone:

if you're suggesting i wear a pair of disposable gloves to perform catheterization, that's 3650 gloves wasted in a year (36.5 boxes).

if you're suggesting i wear the same pair of gloves and take them off to perform catheterization, that doesn't keep my hands clean. the insides of gloves don't stay sterile forever.

Reading your numbers you are doing in the range of 7 catheterizations/day, based on a 50 week year, 5 days a week.

Is it then safe to say that with those numbers you are not an independent/contract worker, but work for a health care organization.

It is not your responsibility to provide the gloves or sanitizer, it is up to the organization, based on my past experience with Labour Board Investigations. This also applies to the health and safety of the patients, to ensure that they are not exposed to any cross contamination.

Conversely, if you are under contract, etc and have to provide your own supplies, then this is a legitimate expense.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by Grappler:

Is it then safe to say that with those numbers you are not an independent/contract worker, but work for a health care organization.

It is not your responsibility ...snip...

I was thinking it might be a self-catheterizations, which is possible. Otherwise protocol would be latex (or similar) and also a business write off.

he could always find an industrial supplier, show what his minimum yearly order is and what it's for, make arrangements for monthly drop-offs and likely get them at a very good discount. Not as cheap as that purell though.

Also, purell doesn't kill everything off. I would imagine he washes then applies this as a double-safety.
hm

hm to teletone

Anon

to teletone
you know... just thinking off the top of my head...

In the lab we used to use pure methanol (we had globs of infectious proteins hanging around) to wipe down surfaces after we were done with analysis. Pure methanol wasn't really that effective BTW, but you aren't dealing with blobs of gelatinous proteins. Plus methanol isn't too good to be rubbing your hands with.

Having said that, what is wrong with rubbing alcohol (iso-propanol)? It will have the same protein denaturing effect as the 60% ethanol (which is what purell is) and also kill off pathogens. Actually those sterile disinfecting alcohol wipes in aluminum packages found in hospitals are exactly that, iso-propanol (running alcohol).

You can save yourself more money, have a larger quantity, and avoid the gimmick of purell and the BS "99% germ kill rate". Soap and water gets rid of more than purell.

You could have a few bottles in diff places just like you would like purell.

I say dump purell, make your complaint to everyone possible since you are right about this wrong, and move on to rubbing alcohol.

Do you really need the added perfume on your hands? That alone is an irritant. You don't need it.

Standard disclaimer:
I am not a doctor, seek medical advice first before listening to a lab rat