PARADISE
kudos:1

COC announces $100 million in corporate support

»www.tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=409462

Markie
Still Living Free

join:2009-07-11
Canada

Nice to see the .Corps investing in people who may not net any return for them.

Win-win for our athletes on the road to owning the podium, article also mentioned Federal financial support is being sustained so $50 million is new money going forward.
--
»libertarian.on.ca/

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1

Yes it's definitely time the sponsors stepped up their contributions to be a help...........although not quite on par with what other countries give,just yet.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

GBerry

join:2011-06-12
Guelph, ON

1 edit
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Yet another push towards buying medals at the Olympics. And, yes, I know other countries do it as well.

Sadly, the money doesn't go towards helping amateurs have the ability to compete. It goes for high performance training for those who are already close to medal contention. There is no additional grass-roots support.

The Olympics these days are just paid athletes using the best equipment, best coaching, best training, and best support money can buy. A far cry from the original spirit.

I'd rather see the federal government pump money into a program that creates more recreational facilities in an effort to lower the cost associated with sport. Tax credits don't cut the mustard, as they are just tax breaks for families who already have children in sports.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

It's not "either-or". You can have both. This happens to be corporate support for our Olympics competitors. Suggesting that it somehow takes away from funding of recreational sports sounds like a strawman argument without basis in fact. If corporations weren't using this money to fund our Olympic teams, they would as likely use it to fund executive raises or a new race horse for the CEO.

GBerry

join:2011-06-12
Guelph, ON
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Didn't say the corporate funding could or should be redirected. Those businesses are contributing because it has a positive ROI through advertising. More power to them.

My point is that our government should not be spending 50 million (as posted by isitdoneyet) on what is essentially welfare for those who have less need for it than others.

The kid who wants to play hockey but can't because registration is $400/season + equipment + travel + time doesn't benefit from someone coming in bronze. On top of that obesity rates continue to climb and sports participation continues to decline. Solving those two issues is, IMO, more important than whether or not a Canadian stands on a podium in some game.