uniqs
share rss forum feed

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:2
reply to NetFixer

Re: [Connectivity] Hmm..

Is that 655 D-link new? I never saw it before on your diagram . Going to get a WD N750 and try it out around Christmas.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by Darknessfall:

Is that 655 D-link new? I never saw it before on your diagram . Going to get a WD N750 and try it out around Christmas.

Yes, I installed it about a week ago. My previous NAT router (the Netgear WNR1000v2, which has now been demoted into a guest only router) had an IPv6 problem wherein it would randomly change the LAN IPv6 prefix even though the IPv4 IP address was not changing. The D-Link DIR655 seems to not be doing that (although since it has only been in service for a week it is too soon to be sure). It also has the ability to update multiple DynDNS hostnames with IPv6 addresses, and its USB sharing feature has enabled my ancient Visioneer scanner to be used as a network accessible scanner. So far my only complaints with the DIR655 are its lack of NAT loopback, and its feeble QoS implementation (which is not compatible with the QoS in my Netgear switch). Since I don't use it for my servers, the NAT loopback problem is not a deal killer, and I have simply disabled the DIR655's QoS engine.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:2

I thought I noticed the Netgear move but wasn't sure . I wonder what your electricity bill is with all that stuff running lol.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by Darknessfall:

I thought I noticed the Netgear move but wasn't sure . I wonder what your electricity bill is with all that stuff running lol.

According to the UPS logs, I use about 400 watts for the IT equipment that is usually operating in my office. It varies depending on what devices are active and what devices are in standby mode at any given time.

During the cold weather months the heat that is generated somewhat compensates for the power that is consumed (my office is definitely the warmest room in the apartment). I do pay a price for cooling the office during the summer though.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.