how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06

Q6600 to Q9650?

Is it a worthwhile upgrade? I see that the CPU's are selling around $179ish on eBay, which is much cheaper than building a new i7 system and will extend the life of my current system.

My current system is nearly 5 years old so one thing that concerns me is the age and how likely parts will fail, such as the motherboard, power supply, etc. It's a Dell so replacing those parts could be a little difficult.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Why on earth would you consider a new i7? Do you use threaded applications or image/video processing?

You'd be better off buying the $120 i3-3220 and an $85 LGA1155 motherboard.

But not knowing what you use your system for, any advice will be shots in the dark.

You would probably see a very negligible upgrade with the Q9650.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
reply to MineCoast

said by MineCoast:

Is it a worthwhile upgrade? I see that the CPU's are selling around $179ish on eBay, which is much cheaper than building a new i7 system and will extend the life of my current system.

My current system is nearly 5 years old so one thing that concerns me is the age and how likely parts will fail, such as the motherboard, power supply, etc. It's a Dell so replacing those parts could be a little difficult.

Any chance you got DDR3 ram on that old dell? =D

Any way Q6600 vs Q9650:
»www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/53?vs=49

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to MineCoast

Having owned both, I would suggest you save your $179 to put towards a better upgrade down the road. The performance difference is so minor you won't notice much of an improvement, if at all.

Da Man

join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA
reply to MineCoast

If its a Dell there's a possibility it doesn't support 45nm CPUs.

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

I you are like me you have a proper self-built machine.

I have a q6600 with a 400mhz (1600mhz) fsb and the processor is running at 3.4ghz completely stable. I could do 3.6ghz but it runs too hot and is not 100% stable.

Sure its not a core i5 but the performance is only off by 15% or so to a non-overclocked chip.

The biggest performance limiter in games is NOT the processor but your video card.

I would switch to a Radeon 7770, 7850, or 7870 and that should give you some more boost for playing games and extend the life of your machine for another year or two while you save your pennies. (Assuming your powersupply is big enough...)

Next time you get a desktop machine get one with 100% standard parts. Newegg and Tigerdirect both have system assembly services.
Techreport.com and other websites have system build guides that they put out every season. When you have about $1k go buy yourself a far better machine.