uniqs
share rss forum feed

Redawg81
T3h N3wb

join:2001-08-04
Jacksonville, FL
kudos:2

Huge lag Spikes

I am coming back to the Comcast HSi forums as last time I felt I was listened to. A rep that worked w/ comcast responeded to me.

Sunday evening @ about 11:30 PM I started to get high ping spikes ~26 to ~2397ms. I reported the problem yesterday and had a tech out today who swapped out the modem. Said there was nothing more that he could do to help me. I told him that the issue has been goin on for 2 days and that was an unacceptable answer. He sd that he could have maint. come out. He put in a ticket to have them come out. I left to run an errand and came back and saw a bucket truck in front of my house. After leaving the problem still occurs. Both my room mate and myself use the connection primarily for gaming. The spikes only happen when you are actually using the connection. What I mean is that w/ just windows loaded I can run "ping -t google.com" and get a consistent ~26ms ping w/ the occasional 485ms ping. When I open a page w/ the test running it will spike up to 2-3kms which makes any sort of online gaming outside of turn based unplayable

I am on the phone now waiting for a rep to answer to see what else can be done, Ill fill in if anything significant happens.

TYIA

R3d
--
Why can't I decide why my feelings I hide? Always screwing with my mind, a thorn in my spine. Oh sure, it feels fine, wasting all our time. In the back of my mind, a thorn in my spine.We are the Children Of the KoRn.

zer0c123

join:2005-05-29
San Francisco, CA
keep this updated. I've got the same issue. Been following other online topics related to this and no one has found a solid solution. I also made a thread on this forum as well, but no one has a clue or has any other input.

Redawg81
T3h N3wb

Jacksonville, FL
reply to Redawg81
Spoke to a rep who is "escalating" the issue, sending out a "lead tech." (a supervisor version of a tech who was already out) this Friday. I will give cust service credit their willingness to resolve was awesome, the young lady issued not only past credits but pre-emptive.

R3d
--
Why can't I decide why my feelings I hide? Always screwing with my mind, a thorn in my spine. Oh sure, it feels fine, wasting all our time. In the back of my mind, a thorn in my spine.

We are the Children Of the KoRn.

Redawg81
T3h N3wb

Jacksonville, FL
reply to Redawg81
The issue resolved it self I dunno what was goin on but its no longer an issue just an FYI

R3d

Zeo

@comcast.net
This has been happening to me also for over a month now and has not gone away. I am on my 3rd modem and still hit spikes. Something is going on with Comcasts network.

ems12a

@comcast.net
The issue is Comcast is on a shared neighborhood network. The more people that are on (like in the evenings) the more bandwidth that is used the less there is to go around. That's why everyone is experiencing lag spikes in so called "prime time".

So no amount of modem swapping or tech visits will correct the problem. Comcast "over sells" it's bandwidth so until it upgrades the neighborhood nodes there will be issues with lag when there are a lot of people using the network.

elkido122

join:2011-02-23
Folsom, CA
thats why docsis 3 was rolled out to relieve congestion because of the bonded downstream channels as well as upstream. so having so many people on at a given time shouldnt be an issue on a docsis 3 modem if you have one