spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

PogiJones

@byu.edu
reply to PogiJones

Re: [General] This plan to get rid of our phones, is it viable?

I hadn't ever heard of either of these services. I'm going to look into it. For Republic Wireless, is it buggy when you're on WiFi, or only when you're on the network? Or transitioning between the two?

Still don't know what ting is... I'm going to research it now. Thanks, guys!

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk

With RW is a new hybrid phone service. When wifi is available it routes all calls to wifi via voip. If not it uses cell. (Sprint network)

Same is true for data. SMS is routed over cell but you don't pay extra for it.

Sending picture via MMS currently doesn't work. Some public hotspots block the voip part of service. You may have to force it to make cell connection. When leaving wifi any active phone call will drop. You then have to reconnect. Not sure if they have solved this yet.

They currently only offer defy XT for $249.

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms
reply to PogiJones

said by PogiJones :

I hadn't ever heard of either of these services. I'm going to look into it. For Republic Wireless, is it buggy when you're on WiFi, or only when you're on the network? Or transitioning between the two?

Still don't know what ting is... I'm going to research it now. Thanks, guys!

Republic Wireless isn't perfect, but it will be a lot better than using Google Voice over a mobile hotspot when you're away from home. $19 is a very good deal for everything that it includes.

There is a short list of issues with the service, but Google Voice will also have its share of annoyances (probably far more than RW) in your usage scenario.

Republic Wireless is run by Bandwidth.com. They are a CLEC that specializes in VoIP services. This is most likely why they are able to keep the costs for this service so low. They actually provide many (maybe all) of the numbers that Google Voice uses.