Premium Member
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL

N9MD to von Monster

Premium Member

to von Monster

Re: [Anveo] Difficulty porting number

said by von Monster:

I'm far enough away - I fail to see how being a small provider has anything to do with it, usually dealing with small providers means better as opposed to worse service.

It would seem so ... but, alas, it ain't so ... at least not in the US.

Many very small (and often friendly ) local phone companies in the US that are rendering rural telephone service have been formally designated as Eligible Telecommunications Carriers by the FCC. This designation immunizes them against requests to port away their numbers. These small companies do not have to allow outward ports!

But ... maybe if you ask nicely and send a box of chocolates with a bouquet of roses ...

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf

Are there still small ILEC's in the U.S. that refuse to allow outgoing ports?
von Monster
join:2012-03-22

von Monster to N9MD

to N9MD
True, my point was that just because their a small provider that that shouldn't mean dealing with them is different than with the incumbents, at least here in Canada.

It's a sad day for everyone when someone figures out how to give worse service than Bell Canada.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to josephf

Premium Member

to josephf
said by josephf:

Even rural LEC are required to allow it now, but in practical terms it's meaningless if the area does not have CLEC's.

For example, consider Lost River, West Virginia:

The carriers serving the local rate center are limited to the local phone company (Hardy Telecom) and one wireless company (Sprint).
»www.telcodata.us/search- ··· state=WV

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL

N9MD to josephf

Premium Member

to josephf

Rural carrier porting restrictions disappeared in 2011

said by josephf:

Apparently the answer is now NO (as of 2011)!

»Re: Rural number porting situation, is geographic LNP live?
This reference is a general treatise on porting. However, the part about Rural Carriers (in the US) appears to be outdated, given the info I’ve provided below.

»www.wisbar.org/AM/Templa ··· ID=23757
This is from the 1996 FCC regulations, allowing a Rural Carrier to block an outbound porting request, specifically stating under Section III The Rural Telephone Company Exemption: Section 251(f)(1) of the 1996 Act (Appendix A) automatically exempts rural telephone companies from the requirements of Section 251(c) ("Additional Obligations of ILECs") until:…. followed by mention of the exceptions to this exception. This info is outdated … see the next paragraph.

»www.fcc.gov/guides/porta ··· roviders
This reference reports that the rural telephone company porting restrictions were lifted by 2011 (which I was not aware of). So there appears to be no current Rural Carrier protection in the US … except for other issues such as DID compatible Rate Centers, Switches, etc. In the OP’s case the question arises as to whether any VoIP provider uses a CLEC (or other DID providing entity) with a presence in his/her local Rate Center.

Interesting page relating to Telephone Number Porting
»www.centurylink.com/whol ··· lnp.html