Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

offthewall
Premium
join:2002-05-22
Caldwell, NJ

[Northeast] 150/65 installed - not getting download speed

I just upgraded from 35/35 to 150/65. New ONT, new red router via ethernet.

Tested with two different Mac's and one PC, each hooked up ethernet directly to the router. I consistently get 93Mbs down and 72Mbs up to speedtest.verizon.com.

What gives? 93 seems WAY low to Verizon's own test site.

serge87

join:2009-11-29
This may seem silly to ask but I assume you have gigabit NICs installed in your computers and they are running at the correct link speed?

okcookie

join:2012-11-26
Medford, NJ
reply to offthewall
There is a significant problem with latency and download speeds in our area. I'm in Medford, NJ and I'm on the 15/5 plan. Up until about 4 days ago I was consistently getting 25mbps down, 5mbps up. Now I'm getting 1mbps down. I can't watch streaming video or play online games. I have a tech coming tomorrow to test the ONT, but I know it's a much larger problem. Please contact Verizon and try to escalate this matter. The more people who call, the faster it gets resolved. I fear I may have to change to Comcast soon.

offthewall
Premium
Caldwell, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to offthewall
I solved my problem. I had one bad ethernet run (4-5 pair shorted) plugged into the Verizon router and it somehow was dragging down all of the ports to 100BT like speeds.

Removed that one run and BOOM. 153.43Mbp Down/72.20 Up!!

I'm even getting that same speed on the 802.11n Wireless. I'm not using the Actiontec for wireless but rather two Apple Airport Extreme's at opposite ends of the house hooked up via ethernet in bridge mode. Running separate 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks.

diskman

join:2000-01-21
Pasadena, MD
reply to offthewall
said by offthewall:

I just upgraded from 35/35 to 150/65. New ONT, new red router via ethernet.

Tested with two different Mac's and one PC, each hooked up ethernet directly to the router. I consistently get 93Mbs down and 72Mbs up to speedtest.verizon.com.

What gives? 93 seems WAY low to Verizon's own test site.

similar issue when our 150/65 service was installed. speeds dropped significantly to 90 something by 60 something. solution was we found a cat 5 cable instead of cat 5e or cat 6 from modem to the laptop machine. replaced it and speeds now over 150 and 65. give it a try

offthewall
Premium
Caldwell, NJ
said by diskman:

similar issue when our 150/65 service was installed. speeds dropped significantly to 90 something by 60 something. solution was we found a cat 5 cable instead of cat 5e or cat 6 from modem to the laptop machine. replaced it and speeds now over 150 and 65. give it a try

^^^^^^ See my post above. I solved my issue. It was a shorted cable.

Mces97

join:2007-04-10
Oakland Gardens, NY
Having a similar issue. Started a thread about it. Have an open ticket with Verizon. Hopefully they can figure out what the issue is. I mean if google fiber is buidling a 1000Mb/s down/up newtwork, Verizon can fix this.

DukeNukem

@verizon.net
reply to offthewall
Click for full size
Getting terrible speeds here in Philly. Talked to Verizon Tech Support and he said there are no reported problems. The FIOS speed test checked out OK so he wouldn't elevate it. Speedtest.net and Speakeasy test way low. I'm on 50/25.