spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

algrossi

@primus.ca

[Internet] Unlock SpeedStream 5242 modem

Hello, I have an old SpeedStream modem which I am trying to configure as a backup for my internet. It appears to be configured to Bell and even after pressing the "factory reset" it will not unlock. How do I reset it so it is generic and can be configured to any ISP?
Al;

EdT

join:2009-06-12
Saint-Laurent, QC

The SS5242E from Bell cannot be unlocked once it was flashed with Bell's firmware. It will still work as an ADSL2+ modem regardlessly on Bell's or any third party ISP.

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
kudos:1
reply to algrossi

said by algrossi :

Hello, I have an old SpeedStream modem which I am trying to configure . . . it will not unlock. How do I reset it so it is generic and can be configured to any ISP?
Al;

If you have a SpeedStream modem with Bell's firmware; the modem belongs to Bell Canada.

If your current modem is a 2Wire 2701HG-G; the 2Wire is the better modem. The 2Wire has better characteristics if there is noise on the line.

If, in the future, you choose to leave Bell Canada, Bell may demand the return of your current modem and the modem (s) that you previously haven't returned. The costs could be at least $100.00 for each modem not returned.

Rick

WallyThacker
The Central Scrutinizer

join:2002-02-12
Canada
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to EdT

said by EdT:

The SS5242E from Bell cannot be unlocked once it was flashed with Bell's firmware. It will still work as an ADSL2+ modem regardlessly on Bell's or any third party ISP.

Nonsense. Every Bell modem can be reflashed with generic firmware and returned to a factory issued condition. Sometimes a simple .exe is all you need, sometimes you need to mess with tftp.

Finding the proper firmware is the hard part.

As for it belonging to Bell, seriously, call Bell, ask for a prepaid mailer to return it and don't hold your breath. I have a box of Bell modems I've tried to return.
--
"Our criminal institutions are full of little creeps like you who do wrong things, and many of them were driven to these crimes by a horrible force, called MUSIC" Frank Zappa, Joe's Garage

EdT

join:2009-06-12
Saint-Laurent, QC

Yes, you can flash other SpeedStream models like the SS4200, but if you can flash the 5242E straight through a Windows based OS then you would be the first ! Others have tried it half successfully through telnet, but you have to be a techno geek to do it ! Firmware for the earlier 5200 series exist, but the 5242E is the rarer and more up t0 date beast made specially for BHell and other ISPs !

polbox

join:2002-05-28
poland

U have to flash it under windows XP

polbox

poland
reply to algrossi

Easiest way will be flashing it

Here's a fully unlocked firmware

»zubu.ca/Update_D240_A5Y_106-15_j045_v1r.zip

Use at your own risk

polbox

poland
reply to algrossi

You only need to hook up the modem via the ethernet cable (not USB) and run the program, it will look for the modem and prompt you to update/flash it

Update under Windows Xp Only